Follow by Email

StatCounter

Sunday, December 31, 2017

New Year's Resolutions



The end of the year is as good a time as any to reflect on any needed changes or improvements in our lives. Considering how many people rarely assess their lives, the New Year is a least one time each year for them to do it.

Personally, I self-reflect and make new plans a lot more often than that. If a person never takes inventory of their life and never makes changes, things just happen to them. Isn't it better to take life's helm and chart your own course?

I am fond of lists. Every now and then I'll make a list of things I want to do or things I want to change. Writing things down does wonders for turning plans into actions. It's more real than vague notions of improvements drifting around in your head. Recently I rediscovered one of those lists in an old notebook. About 75% of the things I listed to do or change actually happened. As for the other 25%, sometimes something better turned up. Only a small percentage of the list never got resolved. That came as a surprise to me, as I didn't realize how much stuff I'd actually accomplished. Pretty neat to see it in black and white.

Avoid a major resolution mistake. Do not join a gym with the intent of getting in shape. For the first few weeks of the year the gyms are going to be crowded. After a month almost all of the new people will be gone. Instead of joining a gym, start exercising at home. It doesn't have to be anything major. Just going for a 30 minute walk five times a week is a good start. If at the end of that month you are still serious about the gym, go right ahead and join.

This year my list is pretty short. I resolve to be kinder towards my fellow humans. Don't underestimate the power of kindness. Assume everyone is going through a heroic struggle in their lives and could use a little kindness. It's both easy and tough. How hard can it really be to cut someone a little more slack? Should be easy, but fear makes it hard. Those who are fearless can walk the warrior's path of kindness.

There are worse resolutions.

Have a happy New Year!


-Sixbears

8 comments:

  1. It's a rare situation where kindness is the wrong decision. I hope the two of you have truly pleasant and productive year ahead of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gorges. Hope you have a good year yourself.

      Delete
  2. I no longer make New Year resolutions. Rather, I try to do my best all the time. It doesn't always work and I am sometimes disappointed in myself but I keep trying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the way to do it. We are imperfect beings, but still can strive for greatness.

      Delete
  3. Just realizing that we are not perfect and striving to improve is a big step. Being more understanding of others is my goal for this upcoming year. Not easy at my age.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We ain't dead yet Hermit Jim. There's still hope for us.

      Delete
  4. Walking a mile in another's moccasins is always a good start. And accepting that all are going through their own valley or peak, we may just not know it at the time.
    Open-minded and open-hearted New Year to all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beautiful words Hermit's Baby Sis! Thank you! Have a wonderful New Year.

      Delete