Monday, May 21, 2018
Yesterday I was checking over the trailer before using it to haul wood. The bearings didn't have any extra slop in them. I topped off the bearing buddies with grease. The tire pressure looked good, but that was going to be checked next anyway. However, what came to light next put the brakes on the whole project. About six inches of the tire tread had lifted away from the inner core, right down to the inner canvas. How the whole thing made it to the transfer station and back the other day was a mystery to me. Sometimes you get lucky and don't even know it at the time.
Today I'm on my way to pick up wood with just the van. By removing all the camping stuff, there's room for at least a cord of wood. My buddy claims he has at least three cords of wood for me, so that's at least three trips.
The engine was running a bit rough after I changed the diesel fuel filter. Something wasn't quite right. After sleeping on it, the though came into my head that I might have forgotten to reconnect something. It took some digging around, but eventually I found a plug that had been shoved to the back of the motor and out of sight. Reconnecting it should smooth out the engine. I got too busy to give it a test run, so I'm going to find out today.
Hopefully the van holds together long enough for me to haul stuff around. After the firewood trips I'd like to make a run to the building supply store fifty miles away. While a lot of stuff can be tired onto the roof racks of the car, things like full sheets of plywood and twelve foot lumber fits right inside the van.
I'm going to miss it when it's gone, but it will need more work than I care to put into a seventeen year old vehicle.