StatCounter

Tuesday, December 4, 2018

Back to the clinic



I'm heading back to the clinic today. Sigh. This never seems to end. Two weeks of antibiotic treatments have produced mixed results. My left leg and part of my right cleared. Open wounds scabbed over and quite a lot of the scabs fell off revealing healed skin. However, there's still a section on my right leg that's open. Of course, it's still pretty painful.

To me it's obvious there's still infection there. Now the smart thing to do would be to take a sample, send it to the lab to see what the bacteria is sensitive too. At the very least, I should get another broad spectrum antibiotic. If they don't so something like that, I'm going to be pretty put out. Twice before my legs were well on the way to being healed, but then they cut off antibiotics. I shall make a stink if that's what they try to do this time.

The nurse practitioner handling my case strongly encouraged me to talk to the hospital customer service department. The nurse could not believe there wasn't some program for someone in my situation. She thought there had to be some sort of special insurance for someone like me. She's adorable. The finance people and I have a fairly short conversation. What they offer is a 37% cash discount. If a test is going to be expensive, they require a hefty deposit up front. Those are my options. That's pretty much what I expected.

Frankly, I wasn't going to have those tests and treatments anyway. The nurse practitioner is trying to cover all her basis. That's not really necessary in this case. She doesn't realize it, but once my leg infection is taken care of, she's probably never see me again. Losing weight, eating better, and getting more exercise is something I don't need the hospital for.

-Sixbears

6 comments:

  1. Unfortunately, they're more concerned about saving their asses and their money than they are in saving lives. Maybe the threat of a dandy lawsuit for incompetence and medical maleficence would put a fire under them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I have things sorted out now. Time will tell.

      Delete
  2. I keep "fish antibiotics" on hand for rare times I need it for sore throats or sinus infection. Pretty cheap online purchase. Amoxicillin, etc all available.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Broad spectrum antibiotics are good to have, but would have missed some of the bugs in my infection. Also, I even had a fungal issue for a bit. That's where the lab tests come in handy. I'm on two different types of antibiotics right now and that seems to be working.

      Delete
  3. Hope the solution is found sooner rather than later. Guess sometimes you have to fight for what you think is best fo you. - Momlady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm finally making visible progress. Fingers crossed.

      Delete