StatCounter

Tuesday, November 24, 2020

Where I’m coming from



There’s some confusion on where I stand. Hope this straightens things out a bit.


My strongest guiding principle is my belief in freedom. However, I also believe in responsibility. You can’t have one without the other. Too many want freedom but have no sense of responsibility to their fellow human beings.


Communism and Capitalism both limit an individual’s freedom. It’s easy to see how Communism uses an iron fist to enforce its rules. Capitalism is more subtle but also insidious, using everything from advertising to financial shackles. If you are lucky your handcuffs are golden. Few have the strength to reject chains of gold.


In the real world the most successful societies have a mixture of regulated Capitalism with a strong social safety net. By successful I mean the average citizen seems healthy and happy.


I am more of a spiritual person than a religious one. However, I believe in freedom of religion and also freedom from religion. Give me an ethical Atheist over a hypocritical Christian any day. When someone asks what would Jesus do, remember that flipping over tables and attacking people with a whip are a couple of things he did.


I try to love my enemies. I turn the other cheek. After that I believe it’s my right to shoot them.


Personally, I’m always suspicious of people who’ve never put themselves in harm’s way sending others into danger.


I’m not a fan of abortion, but recognize it’s sometimes a last resort. We can have legal safe abortion or illegal dangerous abortion. It’s proven that access to education and birth control greatly reduce the demand for abortion. Sorry if that triggers you.


Something can be both legal and immoral. While I might not always be legal, I try my best to be ethical.


When going through life I assume other people are experiencing struggles I’m totally unaware of and try to cut them some slack.


Most importantly I’m open to changing my beliefs as new facts come in. I believe that one of the reasons we are here on this earth is to learn and grow. If you aren’t changing, you aren’t learning.


-Sixbears






3 comments:

  1. I agree with most of this, but cut Jesus some slack. Those guys were money lenders.

    When I was trying to untangle my mortgage at Bank of America, I totally felt like asking myself what Jesus would do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good thing Jesus did not have a sniper rifle.

      Delete
  2. I'm not in the least bit confused on where you stand. Your ethics and approach have been on display for the many years I have been following. Your ability to assume nothing and question the question is a trait I too strive for.
    Unfortunately, many see the world with increasing polarity - red/blue, black/white, lib/con, for/against - and forget that it is so many shades of grey.
    This ethical Atheist lives by the 3 Rs - Respect for yourself, Respect for others and Responsibility for your own actions.
    Does a .22 with a nice scope count for sniping?

    ReplyDelete