StatCounter

Thursday, January 5, 2023

Red Tide


No I’m not talking about a Communist invasion. This time I’m talking about Karenia brevis, the red time organism. In particular I’m talking about the waters off Southwest Florida. 


For the last few years I’ve been paying close attention the conditions in those waters. It’s one of my favorite places to sail. It’s good sailing of you have a shallow draft boat with a swing keel. My lovely wife and I sailed that area numerous times and really love it. It’s certainly a lot more laid back than the hectic Atlantic coast. 


However, those shallow warm waters are susceptible to the growth of red time. Between the fish kills and the toxic air I’ve no interest in dealing with that. I’ve sensitive lungs to begin with and don’t need to suffer for nothing. 


This past summer it was starting look like red tide was finally fading away. Then Hurricane Ian hit. All the run off from the land to the sea cause huge growth in the toxic organism. It hasn’t subsided yet. Maybe it will be better next winter. I really would love to sail there once again. 


By the way, I get my red tide updates from The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission. https://myfwc.com/


-Sixbears

No comments:

Post a Comment