StatCounter

Monday, November 28, 2011

Hopeful days

I’m not all doom and gloom. There are some hopeful signs, positive actions, new technologies, progressive movements, and new ideas.

The first step is letting go of the world view that others have chosen for you. There are many ways of doing that. For some, it’s a simple as turning off the TV. Once the withdrawal pains are over, they notice it’s a whole different world. It won’t take long before they are amazed at all the drivel missing from their life. Some have described it like waking from a bad dream. For a percentage of people, it’ll be like a hard core alcoholic who can never touch the stuff again without being drawn down the sewer. Others might be like those hard drinkers who can occasionally imbibe, but are constantly aware of their consumption and the affect it has on them.

World views can be changed by leaving or joining a church. It could be as simple as reading a single article or book that sets them down a new road. Maybe they observer other people doing things different -and being happy. Perhaps one day a person wakes up and realizes the old way of life isn’t working, hasn’t for some time, and they don’t even want it anymore.

Once a person opens up to new ideas, they find the world is full of them. It could be turning a backyard into a permaculture garden so they can work fewer job hours yet eat better. Maybe they get hooked by alternative energy and the idea of grid independence. Some regain their health through paths that don’t involve doctors and hospitals. One of my favorites is discovering how inexpensive sailboat living can be. It could be figuring out a way to live car free. People look at everything differently: work, food, housing, transportation, community, relationships, faith, values, family -everything about being human. They pick and chose the tools for the life they want to live.

As individuals begin to live individually, they show to the rest of the population that it is possible. There will be those who resent it as they don’t like to be shown they actually hold the keys to their prison cell, but it takes an effort to swing the door open. Fortunately, other people will just be happy to find a way out, no matter how difficult. Here’s the thing, as more people break out of the old ways, it becomes acceptable to do so. The lone freak can be ignored. Whole segments of society breaking free can’t be so easily dismissed.

I expect it could get rough for a while there. Those heavily invested and served by an old pattern won’t give up power easily. The system’s death throes will have to be avoided as best as one can. The new ways will have birth pains: false starts and dead ends. Not every path will work for every person, but isn’t that the point? You have to find your own way.

-Sixbears

2 comments:

  1. Well said.

    Early in life I was the odd one because my mother dressed me like a boy until I began elementary school.

    All through grade school I was odd because I wasn't Finnish nor Apostolic and for the first few grades I was the only one who wore glasses.

    In high school I was odd because I didn't take secretarial classes or go for the college bound courses like Chemistry and Geometry. Then I discovered Joan Baez and Janis Joplin which made me even weirder. I ran track until a kidney disease sidelined me; didn't go to the prom, the football games or become a cheerleader. In my senior year, horror of horrors I had a boyfriend from Turkey and I joined the college kids in a Vietnam protest march.

    Somewhere along the line, I met enough people who were as unaffected by the status quo as me.

    At times there was loneliness and self doubt but I just couldn't find any satisfaction in trying to put a square peg in a round hole.

    Most importantly, I hung on to "me" and have never regretted it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Treesong: You walked your own path, and it was right for you.

    ReplyDelete