StatCounter

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Day in the Gulf




My lovely wife and I finally got the sailboat out in the Gulf. Thats me testing out the new tiller. It’s a beautiful piece of ash, covered in many coats of spar varnish. That marker in the background? It marks a shipwreck. How cool is that?

It was a good test run. We practiced some navigation. Checked out the rigging and gave the motor a good run.

As we were going up the long channel to the Gulf, the motor suddenly coked. My wife took the tiller and kept us in the narrow channel. Tilting up the outboard revealed the prop covered in a red mesh bag. My wife was able to pass the boat hook to me and I was able to clear it. The motor stared right up and we were on our way again.

The day was absolutely beautiful. I’m happy with a tiller in my hand and a keel under my feet.

Things are looking good for leaving on our extended trip Wednesday.

-Sixbears

4 comments:

  1. I wish you calm seas and a good wind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet! Looks like y'all had a perfect day out there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's nothing quite like a fine piece of ash.

    -Paracynic

    ReplyDelete