StatCounter

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

What's in your closet?



Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes.
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden


I had to report to jury duty, and the court has a dress code. The code isn't too onerous, as far as these things go. Basically they don't want you show up wearing shorts, a wife beater, and flip flops. Now if they'd wanted that, I could have assembled a wardrobe in short order.

It took some digging, but I found a pair of long pants. What do I need long pants for, it's summer? I do have a pair of old jeans in case I have to hike though the brambles, but decent long pants? Took some searching.

The shirt wasn't too hard to find. One of my daughters bought me a nice shirt for my birthday. It was barely used, and near the top of the pile.

Shoes? I hadn't worn shoes in 6 years. 99% of the time I'm wearing either sandals, or boots in cold weather. My lovely wife must have been searching for some time but she found them. Let me tell you, they felt funny on my feet. I even found a pair of socks with no holes.

The funny thing is, for a Halloween party last year, I assembled a pirate costume from stuff in my closet in 15 minutes flat -right down to a leather tricorn hat. Yes, it's easier for me to dress up like a pirate than a juror. That probably means something.

-Sixbears


15 comments:

  1. At least they didn't expect a suit and tie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would have been difficult to impossible. :)

      Delete
  2. Sounds to me like you have your priorities straight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Phyllis (N/W Jersey)July 9, 2013 at 6:05 AM

    We want to see that pic of you dressed as a pirate!


    From: Chickenmom (don't know what the heck is going on with Blogger - keeps trying to give me new passwords)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blogger loses some of my own comments -on my own blog. Must have a pic of that somewhere. . .

      Delete
  4. I live in shorts and Crocs. Only wear jeans if I absolutely have to. Shoes are miserable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know what I'm talking about. I'm not paid to dress uncomfortable anymore.

      Delete
  5. I have always been able to get out of jury duty one way or another. The first time I wanted to be on a jury and they didn't like the answers that I gave when the lawyers were picking the jury. I am too honest. So there after, I didn't care anymore. Now that I am over 70, I don't have to serve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky you. I got out of one case, but had to serve the other. My moral objections that worked on the first didn't apply to the second.

      Delete
  6. Was picked for jury duty once on a civil case. Even made it to the jury after having a discussion involving jury annulment with the two lawyers. (They brought it up, and I told them I thought it was irrelevant for a civil tort case.) Fortunately the case only took three days, and it was pretty obvious the plaintiff was trying to pull an injury scam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a relief when the right answer is clear.

      Delete
  7. I do hate to dress up and play like I'm civilized!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How good is your acting? Better than mine, I hope.

      Delete
  8. I'm either wearing overalls for certain projects or pajamas the rest of the time. 'Real' clothes are only worn when going to town. Never been on a jury. Might just show up in ratty bib overalls though if I ever am.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya know, they pick us, we don't pick they. They should take us as we are.

      Delete