StatCounter

Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Where are the palm trees?



Woke up to another sub-zero morning. I must admit, I miss the palm trees some days. In spite of that, we are snug and warm in our dome in the woods. This is definitely a good time to catch up on a lot of things that needed attending to.

There's been a lot of cold weather reaching pretty far down south. I was talking to my mother-in-law in TX and they've had temperatures below freezing. I'm not a big fan of driving to TX if I still can't wear shorts and flip flops.

This is a definitely a rebuilding season. This is the place for it. We are taking care of little things like the dentist, the vet for the dog, and other odds and ends. Much of my business takes place on-line so I'm really enjoying the cheap high speed Internet and endless cups of good coffee.

The water pipes that feed my washing machine needed to be thawed with a hair dryer. It's an on-going problem that crops up when the temperatures stay below zero for too long. The pipes have even been rerouted twice, but they still occasionally freeze. At least they don't freeze hard enough to burst, so that's something.

I'm not sure how I'm going to do it, but by next winter we will have another boat to live on. Also expect to make our way to the Bahamas and points south. There are a lot of interesting islands out there . . and palm trees, or so I'm told.

-Sixbears

11 comments:

  1. Winter just got started too.

    I'm hoping these arctic blasts start heading back to Siberia where they belong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we have days when the arctic is 50 degress warmer than normal and we are in the deep freezer, something weird is going on.

      Delete
  2. Shorts 'n flip flops in January ? One place that happens regularly is in McAllen Texas, approximately 60 miles from the mouth of the Rio Grande River, hard up against Mexico. It was in the 40's w/ drizzle during the past weekend, but today's high should be in mid 80's. Yeah - 80's ! Very few freezes, last time it snowed here was Christmas 2004, about 100 years the previous time. Don't come here during summer though - perspiration incontinence !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Summer in TX is not for me thank you very much. In-laws are in East TX, so it's a bit of a different climate. Most folks don't realize how freaking big TX really is.

      Delete
  3. Hey according to Al Gore that maple tree in my front yard should be dropping coconuts on my head right about now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know about global warming, but I've seen global weirding. :)

      Delete
  4. PUT UP SOME PLASTIC PALM TREES AND FREAK OUT YOUT NEIGHBORS

    Wildflower

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with these guys.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJUFTm6cJXM
      I think I will plant some pink flamingos in my front lawn.

      Delete
    2. As the guy with dome, solar panels, and hippy looking ambulance/camper in the yard, my neighbors are already freaked out. Of course, it wouldn't hurt to step up my game.

      Delete
  5. Here in Key West the temp has gone down to 61degrees at least a few days ago. The problem here is the wind! constant 25 to 30 knot wind for four days. Seas going as high as 12 feet. Even the Ferry going to Dry Tourtogus NP ran aground at the NP. One has to nearly have a hardhat on to keep coconuts from hitting you on the head. Look head...78 degrees tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss Key West. 12 foot seas are interesting around the island. It's not a great place to anchor the mooring fields aren't that protected.

      No wonder so many people leave their boats in Marathon and take the bus to Key West.

      Delete