StatCounter

Saturday, April 22, 2017

Repairs



The good news is that the van has been fixed and passed inspection. The garage is closed until Tuesday so I can't pick it up until then. No biggie. It sat for months so I won't need it in the next few days. It will be nice to have a second vehicle handy.

My physical repairs, on the other hand, aren't going as well. I was going to skip the follow up at the doctor's, except my leg really wasn't getting better. The antibiotics helped for a while, but then the leg actually started to look worse.

As it turned out the antibiotic didn't knock out all the different types of bacteria. Now I'm on a new antibiotic for the next two weeks. Really hope this works, as if it doesn't the doctor wants to send me to a wound clinic. Well, in for a penny, in for a pound. The only thing to do is to follow this through to the end. To take stress off the leg I've started a serious weight loss program. Before the injury I was able to carry my weight because I was active. Once injured, it has become much harder than it should to get well.

I will beat this challenge, like the others in the past. One thing about getting older, you understand how to deal with a long hard struggle.

The financial hit from the medical stuff is a bit discouraging. I've been making extra effort in an attempt to bring in some more cash. A simple medical problem sets that back. However, I've decided to budget a reasonable amount and make monthly payments until it's dealt with. Not going to break the bank over this. Life goes on.

My lovely wife and I drove down to MA to visit my oldest daughter and her family. I've missed them so felt it was worth the effort. Good to get out on the road, even for a relatively short trip to the next state. It's also good to see what spring looks like. There are leaves in the trees down here. It's still late winter home north of the White Mountains. We typically have spring weeks later and winter weeks earlier. Good thing summer in the North Country is so magical. I expect to be well to enjoy it too!

-Sixbears

16 comments:

  1. Hope the new meds work and the leg heals quickly. Spring has definitely sprung here. It's my favorite time of year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leg looks better today than it did last night, so there's hope.

      Delete
  2. Has your Doc checked you for diabetes or pre-diabetes? This disease can really slow the healing process. Esp in your legs and feet.
    (It is forecast to be 95 degrees here next Tues)
    Hope you bounce back soon.
    Bigfoot in TX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been checked. Absolute normal blood sugar. It is problem that I'm so fat, so I'm working on that too.

      Delete
  3. a dab of unwanted advice.\cut out all sugars from everywhere to reduce inflammation overall.
    i have shingles and have had to do that.
    i love sugar but so do shingles germs and i can tell almost instantly that the shingles act up if i eat sugar.
    another thing is to try oregano oil capsules.
    dr. oz also recommends them. see if you can findd his recommendation on the internet. someone suggested i look it up, i did, and now i am taking them.
    eat something before you take the capsules.

    i have used tea tree oil cut with almond oil on sores and it heals them right up.
    test first as some are very sensitive and cannot tolerate it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good thing I've never had a taste for sugar.

      I've some tea tree oil so I'm going to give that shot. Don't mind the advice.

      Delete
    2. Hubby had a toe and most of the top of his foot removed do to gangrene. During the healing process we used a combination of tea tree and lavender essential oil in Topical Vitamin E oil. Doc thought it was weird and asked us to stop using it, so we did. The edges of the wound turned white and hard plus the wound stopped healing. I said screw that and started using my blend again. The edges of the wound went back to pink and soft, and it started healing again.

      My blend was equal portions of each oil. You might not want it that strong but I was determined that Hubby wasn't going to lose his foot if I could help it. So give the tea tree oil a try.

      Delete
    3. I will. We have lavender oil too,so I could make a blend.

      Delete
  4. When I had my motorcycle vs car run in...One of the many injuries was that it gouged out about half of my lower leg , just above my foot. A big chunk of meat was folded over down to the Bone.
    Meatball surgery in the Emergency Room sewed it back together . Bad thing was it got really infected ,even with IV antibiotics , and mostly died off...
    Ended up being six months till it finely healed over. After they finally treated for Mersa.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are lucky to alive. Mersa could have easily done you in, but I'm sure you know that.

      I watched the Dr. go though the sensitivity panel this time. My wife was a med lad tech and I can understand what's going on. Two week treatment scheduled instead of just one, with a harsher antibiotic. Dr. wants me eating yogurt with active cultures 4X/day and to take probiotics. Guts already messed up, but the leg looks better today than it did last night.

      You probably don't want to hear how I'm putting the old motorcycle back on the road. Expect to get some serious protective gear. I know it's dangerous, but so is sitting at home watching TV, waiting to die. So far I've boots, gloves, rain gear and eye protection. Got some decent riding pants I should fit into soon. Checking out different options for a helmet and jacket.

      Maybe I should park the big bike and ride a scooter. :)

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thank you Gorges. I'm feeling much better today.

      Delete
  6. Losing some weight is probably a good move. Planning to do the same here, even though it gets harder for those of us that are past our prime so to speak.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've taken off about 20 pounds so it's a start.

      Delete
  7. Six, my non-medical background has diagnosed your leg issue is caused from Lack of Salt Water! :-)
    (get well and stay well)

    ReplyDelete