StatCounter

Tuesday, August 22, 2017

See You in 2024



A good friend of mine in western Kentucky offered to put my lovely wife and I up for the eclipse. They happened to be very close to the totality zone. Unfortunately, we were unable to make it. The final nail in the coffin: my lovely wife broke a tooth and had a dentist appointment.

We had to make due with a partial eclipse. It was still pretty cool. I make a simple pin hole projector out of some heavy paper. I drove over to the dentist's office in the oddly dimmed light. It wasn't like the dimness of a cloudy day, but something else. Kinda weird.

Someone at the dentist's office had a pair of proper viewing glasses. They were shared around. Then the dentist tried to look at the sun without the glasses on. I pointed out to my lovely wife that the half blind guy was about to mess around in her mouth with drills. She was not amused.

While the partial eclipse was nice, in 2024 northern New Hampshire will be in the path of a total eclipse. While it's close in distance, it's seven years away in time. I plan on making it.

-Sixbears

8 comments:

  1. Here in WV, it looked like the Lord switched from a 100 watt to a 60 for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had total here and it was awesome. My daughter and her two were here as well as a friend. We used the proper glasses. At total I looked without them just for a few seconds. All I can say is "WOW". Don't know if I'll make it to the next one but my daughter and grandkids will. Just happy I got to see this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice! I was a little bummed out that I missed the total, but it was still fun. 2024 will be here before you know it.

      Delete
  3. It got dark enough here , that the chickens all went into their roosting place and the cats which we feed in the early evening came running.
    Best part was a respite from the typical hot afternoon sun. Actually cooled down about eight degrees !
    I'll be seventy when the next one comes around. Doubt that I'd care much by then...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It got pretty dark there then. Pretty cool. It just got dark enough here to feel a little odd.

      Delete
  4. My son used a piece of class taken out of his welding helmet. Worked great and he even took pictures through it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a run on welding goggles such that welders had a hard time getting them.

      Delete