StatCounter

Sunday, November 27, 2022

More Supply Chain Disruptions



We’ve had a lot of upset in the supply chains. Expect more. China is going through a massive covid outbreak right now. Their lock down policies have thrown a monkey wrench in production. We still have a major war going on with all the disruptions in fuel, food, and raw materials that entails. 


Take a minute and do a quick mental inventory of what you have at your home right now. I want you to think of two categories. The first one is consumables. That’s stuff like food, fuel, and water. How are you set? Can you get by for a few days? Weeks? Months? Years?


The second category I want you to think of is critical parts, materials, and items. Do you have the materials and skills to fix things? Here’s a simple example: the handle on our toilet broke. We had a replacement and it only took a few minutes to fix. We were having an ice storm and going out for a new part would have actually been dangerous. If we didn’t have the replacement part there were a couple of ways I could have temporarily fixed the old part. 


At a bare minimum you should have replacement parts for things that regularly fail: faucet washers, fuses, light bulbs and so on. Think about anything that had to be replaced in the last year. Stock up on those things. Every household is a bit different and has different needs.


Brush up on your repair knowledge. Make sure you have the tools and materials need to fix things. Be prepared to make do with what you have. The key here is flexibility.


While there may be supply chain disruptions, it doesn’t mean there won’t be anything available. However, what you might have difficulty getting exactly what you want. That could involve eating unfamiliar foods to fixing things with the “wrong” parts. One time I needed a connector for a plumbing job and it wasn’t available. In the end I cobbled three different parts together to do the same job. It was a pain but it worked. It’s still working a decade later. 


You don’t have to panic but you might have to think outside the box.


-Sixbears


8 comments:

  1. Under consumables I find checking the age of my various glues and such useful.

    I thought I had plenty of superglue until I needed some for a Christmas repair. No useful.

    Added more sheet plastic, fresh tarps (they get used around my place all year) and such to my chaos kit.

    Also check the batteries in various devices. Just recharged my flashlights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I lost some construction adhesive to freezing. Never occurred to me that would be an issue. Now I know. I picked up several flashlights that charge on USB and they've given good service.

      Delete
  2. I have a flush valve that needs replaced. It talks to you and flutter speaks everytime you flush the toilet. Got a new one , out in the stockpile , but don't wanna use it till the old one fails 100%.
    But I do have one.'..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, you've seen my shed full of that kind of stuff...but I actually do know where that new float control valve is lol

      Delete
    2. Your shed looks great compared to my basement.

      Delete
  3. while covid lockdown in china has an effect, the current cause of issues is mass riots there. "apple employees" that are really uighur slaves rioted, then were joined by others angry that a fire killed many in a locked down apartment complex. its going nation wide now. don't forget most vitamins/supplements are made in china. they were allowed to see the world cup, where nobody was locked down/masked..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apple was heavily invested in China. Right now they are moving operations to Idea as fast as possible. By the way, I won't buy any Apple products as I'm trying to not support slave labor. Curious to see where the Chinese unrest will lead -if anywhere.

      Delete
  4. It's hard to get a bead on Chinese unrest as the population is so huge. I heard a snitbit on NPR comparing what's going on right now to Tiananmen. That in itself could be a sign.

    ReplyDelete