StatCounter

Friday, October 13, 2023

Mixed feelings about electronic books



I’ve got mixed feelings about electronic books. I grew up in the world of paper. Now it seems most everything is on a smart phone. Paper still has its place.


If it’s a technical manual I definitely want it on paper -especially if it’s something needed to keep the lights on. My library has a lot of electrical, electronic, and solar-electric information in physical books. All my homesteading information is on paper. 


There are issues with books -cost and bulk are big ones. As for the bulk  . . . well, let’s say I have more books than my town’s library. New books are pricey. There’s no getting around that. I am a sucker for bag of books for a buck sale some libraries hold. 


One of the technical manuals I have in electronic form is a Honda scooter repair manual. The shop manuals are expensive and bulky. I keep an electronic manual on my phone in case I need to repair something on the road. If I’m going on a longer trip I sometimes bring a backup copy on a Kindle reader. Unlike a phone the battery on a reader lasts a long time. 


Much of my recreational reading is on electronic books. I use the heck out of my Kindle unlimited membership. 


With cooler weather in the air I’m definitely going to enjoy reading books by the fire -be they physical or electronic.


-Sixbears

3 comments:

  1. I definitely get my money's worth out of Kindle unlimited. Averaging like six to eight per month.
    Yet I'm with you on having a home library of paper ones too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a fast reader so my book consumption is pretty high. In college I'd do all my semester reading in the first two or three weeks.

      Delete
  2. I too am a lover of the "Realness" of paper books. I like the feel, the smell, and just the overall heft of a good book. I really do have a personal problem with being able to carry around a thousand volume library in your pocket. Although I do admit the sin of reading many on my phone. I should pay penance.

    ReplyDelete