StatCounter

Thursday, April 25, 2024

Food Storage Changes


The best bang for the buck with food storage is to buy basic staples in bulk: wheat berries, rice, beans -that sort of thing. I also have a rotating stock of canned and frozen foods. While it’s not the cheapest way to go there’s a fair number of meals in 25 year storage buckets. They last, are easy to prepare, and provide some variety. I like to take a bucket or two along when we go camping. That’s saved us from having to make long trips into town for food shopping numerous times. 


So I thought my food storage was pretty much squared away. Then my lovely wife developed food allergies. A lot of that dehydrated storage food was now a problem for her. These are not simple food sensitivities but full blown allergies that swell up the face and cause airways to shut. That’s not something you want to deal with at any time and especially not during an emergency.


Fortunately I have friends who also store similar foods. We’ve been swapping out things my wife can’t eat with things she can. We will still be left with some she can’t eat but others in the household can. They can also be used as give away items or trade items. 


The thing about food storage is that it’s not a do it once and forget it sort of thing. Needs change and one has to be adaptable. Also, it’s good to have a variety of foodstuffs as you never know how dietary needs could change.


-Sixbears


2 comments:

  1. Posts like this is why I read you regularly.

    Adapting to reality, trading-helping with friends is critical in messy situations.

    BTW if it's wheat she's allergic to have you explored the older non-roundup wheats? A lot of my friends who found themselves allergic to gluten found they were really allergic to Roundup. Thus, my pancake patch. That way I know what is sprayed or not on my wheat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually it's dairy, egg whites and bananas. Good advice on the wheat.

      Delete