StatCounter

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

So much for plans



“I can't wait until the kid is 18,” my friends with young children say.

I smile a little inside. What magic is supposed to happen at 18? Do they go off to college that they pay for themselves? Get a good paying full time job? Move out into their own place? Maybe, but not very likely.

It does happen, but not often. I went to one semester of community college that I paid for, quit, and got a job as a firefighter, and all before I was 18. By the time I was 19, I was in my own apartment. Married at 20. That was in the 70s, and it was rare enough back then. Today? Might as well search for unicorns. My parents had it easy, didn't they?

There are stories of kids who are awoken on the 18th birthday, given luggage and told to move out. Those families probably have other issues too. They probably aren't the type to get together on the holidays either.

So I consider myself fortunate that my kids and grandkids are in my life. Spring and now summer have been very busy, and not much like I planned. That's life. I don't regret it. It does take up a lot of my wife's and my time. We should get a break by the end of July, but I'm not holding my breath.

In the mean time, I'm working on my boat build, and upgrading my Oday 19 sailboat. I'm pouring over my charts, reading sailing blogs, and going over cruising guides. So many sailing trips planned for this season have been canceled. If it wasn't for the fact the boat is anchored on a small lake off my beach, I wouldn't be sailing at all.

My lovely wife and I still plan on hitching up the boat and heading south in the fall. The family knows well in advance where we'll be and can plan accordingly. We'll be happy to meet them in any southern port this winter.

-Sixbears

8 comments:

  1. I hope at least SOME of your plans work out. That can be good too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would be a sad life indeed if my kids lived far away. The oldest is 47 and still comes for dinner every Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've decided that 6 months close and 6 months far can work for us, thanks to phones, e-mail, social media and skype.

      Delete
  3. Sixbear i understand what you mean for the last 2 weeks our house has been full.We love our kids and grandkids but some times you just want to have some time to do what you want and need to get done.Visitors are nice but the grass needs cut the camper needs finished.Retired /unemployed s a lot of work!!Why does friends and family think your bored and need to be entertained?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know when I found time to work a real job.

      Delete
  4. People who want to get rid of their kids as soon as possible shouldn't have had any in the first place.

    ReplyDelete