StatCounter

Thursday, September 14, 2017

Water system problems



We've had water system problems for the last couple of days. Every other plan and project has been set on the back burner until we have reliable water again.

On the bright side, the well is full of water. It's a plumbing problem of some sort. So far I've replaced a check valve, a pressure switch and a pump. It pumps water up to the house, but the pressure might be too low. That's one more trip into town to pick up a new pressure gauge. That way I'll know for sure.

So far I've spent $400 without solving the problem. I don't feel too bad about the parts I've changed as they were all pretty worn. Better to replace them now than in December.

It's starting to look like the problem might be a damaged water line. Really really really hoped it was something else. The line is 66 feet long, buried between 6 – 8 feet to get below the frost line. It's in a very steep hill, too steep for heavy equipment. One summer, a very long time ago, I buried the whole thing using hand tools.

By Thursday night I should have a better idea what has to be done. One of the joys of home ownership out in the woods.

-Sixbears

6 comments:

  1. Even with city water, water problems are NEVER fun. It was even less so pulling a pump from the well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least I have water. It's all a matter of delivery. At least the weather is forecasted to be mild, so that helps. Nothing worse than working on water problems when it's freezing cold.

      Delete
  2. Must be something simple. Hope you solve it without great expense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Found the main problem. It's somewhere in the buried line. Probably leaking somewhere. It's so deep underground that there's no sign of where it's leaking.

      I was able to run a temporary water line above ground. That buys me some time until the hard freezes set in.

      Delete
  3. I feel your pain, but like you say...at least you have water!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Water is the main thing. The rest is just hardware.

      Delete