StatCounter

Friday, June 7, 2019

Year of the Amphibian



My lovely wife and I went down to the lake. There’s no sense living on a lake if you don’t go down to the water often. I don’t know the reason why, but there were so many frogs singing away that we had to raise our voices to communicate. There were frogs along the beach and swimming in the lake. They left large egg masses in the shallows. On the way back up the trail I startled one of the largest toads I’ve ever seen in my life.

The huge amphibian explosion should be a good sign. They are especially sensitive to pollution. Apparently our lake water agrees with them. Three cheers for environmental protections.

I’m glad we have so many critters around that eat bugs. This year has been particularly bad for them -or good if you happen to be a bug eating amphibian.

The bug explosion has hampered my outdoor projects a bit. I putter around until the cloud of bugs gets too thick then I run into the house for a while. Rinse and repeat. While it’s tempting to push on through, working with power tools while distracted is a bad idea. In spite of the frequent beaks, a lot of stuff is getting done.

In the last few days I knocked out a number of little boat projects. It won’t be long before I’ll become amphibious myself and spend half my time on the water.

-Sixbears

1 comment: