StatCounter

Thursday, September 26, 2019

Up on the Mountain



Okay, it’s a low mountain, but a mountain none the less. My lovely wife and I hiked up Mt. Jasper in Berlin NH. This is an absolutely beautiful time of the year for it. Brownie the Sailor Dog also enjoyed the hike. She acted like it was the best day ever.



While on the mountain I decided to do more real world tests of the Inreach satellite communication device. A text was successfully sent to my daughter and her reply came back just fine. I also downloaded a basic weather forecast. There’s the option for a more detailed premium forecast or a marine forecast. Since this was just a test, basic was fine. Actually, for most of my needs, basic is detailed enough.

While it’s possible to use the Inreach mini as a stand alone device, to really use all its functions you have to pair it with your cell phone. It’s worth doing just for the ease of sending text messages. The biggest and most important feature is the SOS button and that works just fine directly from the device.

It was a good day for a hike. While not a huge hike, it’s nice to have my health back so I can enjoy little excursions like this.

-Sixbears

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad you got the chance to enjoy the good weather and that you had a successful test, both of your health and your comms unit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hermit Jim. It was a good day and I'm feeling pretty good this morning.

      Delete
  2. Glad you enjoyed the fresh air and great mountain view. I'm jealous - I live in a flat part of Texas where stepping on an old phone book (you young folks ask your parents what a phone book is :^) gets you get a view.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been all over TX and some places sure are flat.

      Phone book! Ha! I'm reminded of the story of a guy who asked his grandson to pass him the phone book. The kid said, use my cell phone instead. So the old guy used the phone to kill a spider. :)

      Delete