StatCounter

Saturday, October 12, 2024

New House Build



A friend of mine asked me to check out some land he’s interested in. It has a decent gravel driveway and a cleared level area where a trailer is currently parked. My friend does not want the trailer so that would be the first thing to go. 


His real estate guy told him it would cost a minimum of $20,000 to connect to the grid. I’m assuming that the electric company doesn’t want new rural customers. Either that or they think that people are stuck and will pay whatever they ask. 


For $20,000 my friend could install a pretty decent off-grid electrical system. The site gets good sun and has excellent wind potential. Actually, he could probably get up and running for a lot less than that. 


Since it would be all new construction minimizing electrical usage could be built in. For example it could be heated using methods that don’t consume electricity. He’s thinking of putting in a woodstove anyway. There are propane heaters that don’t use electricity and could provide decent backup power. 


Oh yeah, the property comes with a pretty decent shooting range so that’s a plus. 


-Sixbears


1 comment:

  1. When I was building my house, 20 years ago,the neighbor about 1/2 mile further down our dead end road had electricity run in past me and it cost him 10K. If I tapped in to the line, I would have to pay 1/2, but any electricity usage would paid for out of the 5K until it was used up. I wasn't living there at the time, not retired. I was using a generator. So I found out if I waited 5 years, which I did, I could tap in at no cost

    ReplyDelete