StatCounter

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Stock up on books



Stock up on books, while you still can.

I like my electronic toys as much as the next person. I had to add another 8 gig of memory to my e-reader as I needed the room. Most of what I read is on an electronic screen, but my house is full of real honest to god paper books. I still enjoy reading the old way.

Electronic gizmos fail during normal times. Imagine how bad it’d be with power outages. There is a less than zero chance of all electronics being fried from a solar storm or even an air burst nuclear weapon.

Second hand books are about as cheap as I’ve ever seen them. I recently bought “Chapman Piloting,” for 20 cents. It cost almost $4 to ship, but was still a steal. Sure, it’s not a current edition, but the information is still correct. I’ve been picking up books for $1/bag locally. Another place is selling hardcovers for 25 cents each and paperbacks for 10 cents. The bottom has dropped out of the used book market.

Buy a pile of them. You might find yourself with a lot of time on your hands. Maybe you’ll lose your job. Maybe you won’t have the money to keep your TV cable or Internet connection. A good book to read beats staring at the walls by a long shot.

Preppers should have key information in book form: gardening, construction, gun smithing, plant identification -all the things critical to life and safety.

Information is great and useful, but don’t stop there. Stock up on some good escapism literature: Science Fiction, Fantasy, Adventure, Romance -anything people put in the category of light summer reading. When times are bad you are going to need some escapism. It’s healthier and cheaper than alcohol or drugs.

For when that gets boring, stock up on the classics. There’s a reason they are classics. Shakespeare really is good reading, once you get past the antique language.

Make sure you stock on those kids books too.

Now is the time to do it. It won’t cost much and you’ll be thankful to have them later.

-Sixbears

8 comments:

  1. I got me some books; thousands of books! you betcha! great advise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Morning to you. Yep, it's not easy to imagine a life lived without books. And you're right for sure about kid books. I came across a copy of Stuart Little by EB White for a dime in a thrift store a while back. I remember it as possibly the first book I ever read for pleasure. Read it again the other night and was surprised to discover I enjoyed it as much now as I did as a kid.

    Incidently, if you haven't read it recently you might get some enjoyment out of Balzac's Droll Stories. It's a barrel of laughs and if you don't have a copy you can download one from gutenberg dot org.

    Have a great one if it suits you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kellie, I've more books than the local library or the closest bookstore.

    Old Jules: Just downloaded the Droll Stories -thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent advice! Our personal libraries are going to be the key for rebuilding things after the reset.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm no book worm by any stretch, but my library has grown by leaps and bounds over the last couple years. Working on the "Master and Commander" series right now. Russel Crowe wasn't a very good representation of the "real" Capt. Aubrey...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I musch prefere to read printed words on real paper. A lot easier on my eyes. As far as I am concerned, you can not replace real books.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good books are our friends! When we were very young, a special treat for us is when Mom would take us to the library!

    My sisters all loved to read as well! Guess that is one thing my parents instilled in us that will serve us well through our lives!

    ReplyDelete
  8. good to have an overstock libary of books, especially those published anymore or long grown rare...

    like old quality tools. worth having past the 21st of december 2012....

    yo,ho,ho!

    Wildflower

    ReplyDelete