StatCounter

Friday, April 25, 2014

Boat dreams



I find myself dreaming that I'm on a boat again. Then I wake up, it's below freezing with 45 mph gusts of wind. Maybe my subconscious is trying to tell me something?

The lake is still covered in ice and there are still big piles of snow around the house. The ice usually leaves the lake around April 18 – 21. Once in a great while it doesn't melt until May. This might be one of those years. A couple years ago it was 80 degrees here in March. Back then I wondered what the heck I was doing in Florida. Now I'm wondering why I'm not there still. Weather is unpredictable, so we have to take our best guess.

My little sailboat building project is almost free from the ice. A few more warm days I should be able to pull the tarps off, flip it over, and see how it survived the winter. A garage would be nice to have -not for parking cars, but for all the other projects I do.

On the bright side, my lovely wife and I are making headway on our house. The kitchen woodstove is keeping us warm and comfortable, and heating our water. My lovely wife is delighted to be able to take long soaking baths in her own tub.

I do miss life on the water. Once things warm up I'll take the boat out on some big wilderness lakes and disappear for a bit. That'll help. In the short term it looks like I'll only be sailing in my dreams.

-Sixbears


6 comments:

  1. Better there than nowhere, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep the dream alive - hope your wait isn't too long Sixbears !

    Winter wasn't kidding around this year, I'm thinking we are going to be having some serious flooding in the Mississippi / Missouri drainages, you folks make plans while you have the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's no telling what the future will bring,but making plans is still a good idea.

      Delete
  3. Anywhere on a boat is better than land I say..Of course we are having huge snow storms in the pacific northwest in the Cascades and rain for 4 more days, then booomchugalug! 80 degree temps predicted, I went to JC Penney two days before easter and bought 4 sleeveless tops in tropical colors, last in the store in the colors and my size I knew we would get a blast just before May and the Kentucky derby on this next Saturday not this Saturday the 3rd, it always heats up like a furnace here in late april the last days and early May so I come prepared and dreaming of warm days, now I can get out and plant some veggies we need and get my hands and knees and body full of dirt..Happy Springtime where you live it looks like Mother Nature is pulling a few dirty jokes on your neck of the woods, shame on her, if it gets nice hoping you can get out on your boat and have a blast, ciao!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More snow in the forecast. Winter never seems to end.

      Delete