StatCounter

Saturday, March 7, 2015

Back on-line for a bit



I'm still searching for a decent way to stay connected to the Internet while traveling. Last year I was using a hotspot from an iphone. That worked well enough in most places, but data usage fees ate me alive. As soon as I got back home I canceled my pay as you go service from Verizon.

My lovely wife has a cheap Straight Talk phone that works well enough, but it has no hotspot capability. Those who've hacked their phone to make it work as one have gotten their service canceled.

Now I'm looking at maybe getting a Straight Talk mobile hotspot for when I'm on the road. Reviews are mixed. Support services in particular have extremely bad ratings. The device itself looks well made. Battery life isn't great, but that can be worked around.

Data usage is also an issue here. It appears very important to use the security settings as you'll be buying date for strangers if you don't.

Soon I'll be off camping in the Ocala National Forest -not known for wifi connections. Later we'll be staying at my in-laws and last I heard they don't have Internet at all. Last time we visited we had to drive to another town and connect at a McDonalds.

The hotspot device might take care of my basic needs: banking, e-mail, blogging, news, and the occasional book download. As long as I don't stream video it might be enough of a solution.

I do miss all my blog friends, so I go through withdrawal when I don't blog.

-Sixbears

10 comments:

  1. The main thing is to get something to take care of business; you can always catch up with us fellow bloggers when you can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gorges. Business has been a concern. No real problem yet, but I've had to do some running around. Also not too sure about banking on public wifi.

      Delete
  2. We use a Verizon Hot Spot when we travel. So far it has done a great job. Of course with any service, there are always places that you are not in range of their towers. I have a Verizon cell phone also and have service almost everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've discovered Verizon does not work in the Everglades. However, ATT&T does.

      Delete
  3. I guess some kind of satellite hook up on your boat would be cost prohibitive. That is kind of a problem, now that I think of it. You really need internet access.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to do something by next fall. I might be able to limp along until then. Discovered today that in-laws in TX have Internet again, so that gives me some wiggle room. I've business to do when I get there, so that'll work.

      Delete
  4. I can see where this would be a problem.

    We just got new smart phones through Cricket pretty cheap with unlimited data and what all for a hundred bucks a month. That is for 3 phones though which is pretty damn cheap. Cricket uses the AT&T network so their coverage is a lot better than it used to be.

    I was kind of wondering why you have been so quiet, this explains it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By the fall I'll definitely have to have something figured out. Think I can limp along for now. There might be a few blank days, but not the weeks I was expecting.

      Delete
  5. I got a small hot spot from T-Mobile and it seems to work just fine. Cable goes out here from tie to time (storms and the like) so the hotspot has come in handy. Mainly got it for emergencies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How's the price? I heard complaints about T-mobile not having good coverage in southwestern FL last winter.

      Delete