StatCounter

Friday, November 13, 2015

Florida Took My Money



I'd originally thought to title and register my boat in New Hampshire. That way I wouldn't have to pay Florida sales tax as New Hampshire doesn't have one. However, Florida registration is so much cheaper that it pretty much offsets the sales tax. Had there been any sort of problem with the paperwork it'd be much easier to sort it out while still in Florida. One added bonus I hadn't thought of was that the Coast Guard numbers transfer. Had I registered up north I'd have to buy and attach new numbers. Now all I have to do is to put a new sticker on the boat.

Now I'm waiting for an insurance quote from Boat US. In the past when I had problems they took very good care of me. Marinas, like the one it's currently sitting in, require insurance. The previous owner is keeping his insurance on until I get insurance of my own. That's kinda a gray area legally, but at least the marina isn't in a hurry to kick me out. Of course, they took my money too. At least I don't have to worry about the boat.

Funny thing about the marina. Without realizing it, I tried to pay the fee with an expired credit card. It had just expired and neither I nor the marina secretary caught it. Credit cards can only be delivered to your home address. The post office will not forward them. The back up emergency card I used instead had just been activated the day before we headed south. Talk about cutting it close.

We still caught in paper work hell with my dad's funeral business. Until that's straightened up we won't know exactly when we'll head north. Until we know that we won't know when we'll be back down.

At least I'll have a boat with all the paper work in order waiting for me when I get back. Can't wait to find a quiet cove somewhere, pour myself a rum and watch the sun drop into the ocean.

-Sixbears

8 comments:

  1. Ah, paperwork - never ending - just like taxes....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some things you just have to plow through and hope for the best.

      Delete
  2. Paperwork and taxes - And you can't really plan for either one ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do what I can keep the hassle to a minimum, but it's a battle.

      Delete
  3. Paperwork always means job security for SOMEBODY.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some strange people out there who actually like paperwork. How can this be?

      Delete
  4. Paper work is good for starting fires in your stove.

    ReplyDelete