StatCounter

Friday, November 27, 2015

My favorite holiday



Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. I hope all my readers out there had a good one. This year my lovely wife and I were invited to spend the holiday with my son-in-law's family. It was great. Good food, great conversation and everyone got along. That's no mean feat these days and one I do not take for granted.

Believe me, had people decided to take offense with other people there it would have been easy to do. However, everyone remained civil. We could use a lot more of that attitude out there in the wider world. Personally, I'm thankful that civility and good will can prevail in this day and age.

The best part of the holiday is that there's only so much commercialization that one can do with it. After the grocery shopping is done, that's pretty much it. Now wonder there's such a push for everyone to go shopping on Black Friday. Christmas is the big money maker for retailers and they want everyone to dive in with a bang. However, Black Friday shopping has taken a slight downturn. Maybe no one has all that much money to spend. Perhaps we are better shoppers and realize most of those “deals” are really not worth it. If there are a few dollars to be saved is it worth suffering the Black Friday craziness to get it?

I don't think so.

Avoid the shopping rush. Celebrate national left over day. Nothing like a nice turkey, stuffing, cranberry, and gravy sandwich. Sure beats shopping.

-Sixbears

8 comments:

  1. Thanksgiving is also my favorite holiday for much the same reasons. And today, instead of joining the insane shoppers out there, I just stay at home, clean up and start decorating for Christmas. Saturday I will venture to a few small local businesses to support them instead of China Mart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This year I don't even know where I'll be come Christmas. No doubt my lovely wife will decorate the boat.

      Delete
  2. Being with family is the best part. I'll have my second turkey dinner tonight. Nothing like leftovers, especially when you didn't have to cook! And my chopping is already done so the Evil Empire will not see me until after New Year and only then if I really need something only it has (I live in the country and we don't have many stores).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tonight the extended family is getting together for a huge pasta dinner. We've had enough turkey for now.

      Delete
  3. don't normally go out on black friday but had to get to allergist for regular appointment.
    then bought a half gallon of milk.
    expected pandemonium.
    nothing.
    maybe at the malls?

    i would say from observation that it is going to be a black Christmas for retailers.
    as to why;
    1 internet shopping, and
    2 no money.
    it has been really tight for us the last 2 months and it will be a very tight december,too.
    at the grocery store i most frequent i have never spent over a hundred dollars until the last coupe of months, and they are the cheapest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People who still have decent jobs are doing well. Others, not so much. Decent jobs are hard to come by these days. Even well paying jobs lack security so people are afraid to spend money.

      Delete