StatCounter

Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Write a novel month



As if I don't have enough to do. This month I've joined National Novel Writing Month. The goal is write a 50,000 thousand word novel during the month of November. Pretty lofty goal for anyone. I've written a couple novels before under different pen names.

What? You didn't know I wrote novels? Don't worry, few do. Writing novels is a good way to make a small fortune -as long as you start with a large fortune. I've just finished a rewrite on a novel I've been working on and off for years. It will take about a month for my writers' group to get back to me on that. I hope to get it into print before too long. (Yes Adam, it's that novel.)

The timing was pretty good as I finished at the end of October. Usually I remember NNWM about halfway into the month. This year I signed up at the last minute and started writing. Well, it's day three and I've surpassed 5,000 words, so I'm on track.

Normally my novel writing is kept separate from my blog. However, I've decided to publish this one as Sixbears. While I'm drawing heavily on my real life, I'm describing the novel as “magical realism.” It will have quite a few fantastic elements in it -some of them made up. I've got my creative license. I can do that.

I'm on track, but I've got to do better than that. Sooner or later there will be days when I cannot or will not feel like writing.

Right now I've one eye on the computer and one eye on my dad to see if he need assistance with anything. As he cancer progresses he needs me sometimes, if only to let him know I'm still there.

Writing a novel has proven to be a good distraction.

-Sixbears

16 comments:

  1. looking forward to it!
    fame and fortune will be yours!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fame is tedious, but a bit of fortune could be nice.

      Delete
  2. I had the feeling you wrote - are you going to give us any hints??? :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I distinctly remember one particular novel that's been a long time coming....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Recently I finished an ebook about how I lost 60 pounds and 7 inches from my waistline after being told by the doctor that I was about to be diagnosed as a diabetic in the near future if I didn't change my ways. The book wrote itself, or maybe it should be called a pamplet ;-) Anyway, I decided to try self publishing it on Amazon's Kindle. And there I have been hung up for almost two weeks trying to figure out all the programs involved to convert it into their format, and upload it.

    I feel like chucking the whole thing. This morning I woke up and decided to let someone else do the work and take their cut, instead of hogging all the PENNIES I will receive for myself.

    I hope that you won't run into the same problem that I did. The weightloss and lifestyle change was easy. The writing was easy. The hassle of trying to do the rest, killer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've friends who are up to date on the publishing end of things. I will pick their brains.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a good distraction to me! Nice that your Dad has you there with him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Might not be for too much longer. Days instead of weeks I think.

      Delete
  6. I'm hoping you will share the title and where we might purchase when the time comes, Sixbears. I enjoy some fantasy (read Irish magic and fairies here), and some post-apocalyptic stuff, too. Big TWD fan, too.
    Thoughts aplenty of you and your dad ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. When it's ready there will be a link to buy it. Of course, I've only a rough draft of the first 7,000 words or so. Much to do. However, can't finish if it's never started.

      Delete