StatCounter

Thursday, September 29, 2016

Waiting for the warmth



It's that time of year again where it's freezing in the morning, warm in the afternoon, and then the temperature plummets as the sun goes down. Any outdoor project that needs warm temperatures has a very narrow window of opportunity. Yesterday as I in town people were dressed for both warm and cool temperatures. The bundled up folk were probably a bit warm at that moment, but the shorts crowd would soon be freezing. Of course, most folks don't stray too far from their cars so they'll either turn on the heat or the AC as needed.

There's not enough time, good weather, or money to get everything I wanted to get done finished. Such is life. This is a rebuilding year for me. Hopefully some of my current efforts will produce some income down the road, but we shall see.

I did get a $50 check from my medical insurance. They had a cash incentive to get a physical this year. Since I'd promised to kids to have a check up anyway it was a bonus. It took months for them to send the check, but it finally came in. The first thing I did buy a bottle of rum . . . for medicinal purposes. Don't worry, not all the money went for booze. Some went for chocolate and ice-cream.

My in-laws had hoped to catch the fall colors when they were here, but they were a bit early. It's not an exact science. Even though I see it year after year, it never gets old for me. If I have to drive into town I pick the most scenic routes for the time of day, depending on the light.

Last year I had to go down to Florida to be with my dad so I missed out on the fall activities. Nothing is being taken for granted this year.

-Sixbears

8 comments:

  1. When I lived in Pennsylvania, Fall was my very favorite time of the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No bugs, beautiful colors, crisp air, what's not to like?

      Delete
  2. Colder there than here. 42 on the front porch this morning as the sun came up, but it is still mid 80's by afternoon.

    Our leaf season is just starting here. We are having a drought and I think that's making it early.

    There are worse things to spend a little mad money on than a good bottle of cheer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frost in the morning. Low 60s predicted for later. Our leaf season might be a bit late. Drought wasn't too bad here, not like the southern part of the state. The White Mountains divide the climate zones.

      It's getting darn pretty right now.

      Delete
  3. The Autumn has always been my favorite time of year.

    October is a special month. My earliest memories are of wearing a warm sweater, breathing in cool, crisp air while the sun warmed my back; laughing and wading through the crackling leaves.

    How lovely for you to enjoy all the colors of fall at your doorstep!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never take the beauty of my location for granted.

      Delete
  4. You have sailing in your blood. Rum would be considered medicinal to a sailor. ;>)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe it's required to have on board by marine law. :)

      Delete