StatCounter

Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Winter's coming



Summer has come to its unofficial end. With the kids heading back to school it's going to really quiet here on the lake. Between that and some good weather in the forecast I'm going to enjoy myself while I can.

Last year I'd really hoped to do some hunting. Sadly, about this time last year, my dad realized he did not have very long to live. My lovely wife and I went down to Florida much earlier than we'd originally planned to be there with him.

This year I have plans to disappear into the woods for days at a time. The converted ambulance/camper is running well. The old hunting camp is no longer in the family, but my buggy is like a camp on wheels. It should make for a good base of operation. Really looking forward to it this year.

My lovely wife and I are unsure of we are going to head south at all this winter. It might be a good year to stay close to home. We'd planned on having a sailboat waiting for us in Florida. Since we lost that in a shipwreck we don't feel the pressing need to head right down. However, we could hitch our smaller sailboat to the van and head south at a moment's notice.

Would you believe I actually miss snow? Huge snowstorms that snow us in for days. That didn't happen here in northern NH last year, but this year might be different. There are years when a single snowstorm would bury my driveway in snow deeper than I am tall. Sure, some of that was drifting, but it's pretty impressive none the less. Better put a new shovel on my shopping list.

Maybe I just really miss snowshoeing and cross country skiing. If I get to do all the hunting I want to do this fall, I should be in pretty good condition by the time the snow falls.

Right now it feels like a good year to stick close to home. My lovely wife and I have a lot of friends and family in the area. In times of trouble it's good to be on home turf with one's own tribe.

-Sixbears

12 comments:

  1. I understand wanting to stay close to friends and family. This year feels "off" to many of us. If things hold you can go when you want. I hope you have added fuel oil while the price has been low incase you stay home. Or have you cut and split 6 cords already.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did buy fuel oil and hope to buy more while prices are still low. I've more wood coming too.

      Delete
  2. Ditto on what Gary said. I'd at least wait until Trump is sworn in. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, we should at least know how the selection turns out in a couple months. I figure about half the country will be sorely disappointed no matter who wins. As for myself, I'm already disappointed with the choices.

      Delete
  3. read that la nina would keep east warmer than usual this winter.
    just picked up almanac today--says 'ice cold and snow filled' for northeast.
    la nina may not occur.
    signs here in n e ohio point to early cold winter. almanac concurs, 'numbing cold and snowy'.
    says even the south will have 'penetrating cold and very wet'.
    looks like west coast is the only mild winter area for the coming year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me, there's no sense in heading south if it's going to rain all the time anyway. :)

      Delete
  4. would advise against travel because of the sheer insanity going on now

    want a good spot on a sunny beach, put down a sandbox of sand add a chair and a decent sunlamp and enjoy the illusion

    Wildflower

    ReplyDelete
  5. Winter is nice if you are not a slave to the mortgage and can sit it out a spell before having to clear the driveway and rake the roof. Otherwise it is just more work to be done in order to be able to do your normal work. Last winter was not a bad one at all. I think I only had to run the blower 5 times as opposed to the usual every other day. I expect this winter to deliver the usual 10 or so feet of the white stuff. There was a time when I actually enjoyed the outdoors in winter. With five mid winter traverses of Baxter St Park and one ascent of Mt Katahdin in February under my belt, 20 yrs later the prospect of such an endeavor is not so appealing any more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did my fair share of winter hikes . . . in the increasingly distant past.

      At least I normally don't have to hurry out after a snowstorm.

      Delete
  6. The older we get, the more Hubby and I want to stay closer to home. We haven't been on a vacation for seven years now. Glad we did travel a lot when we were younger, though. Would fill the saddlebags up on the Harley and just take off for two weeks. Good times. But I do, really do miss the Adirondacks. They always felt like being home to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love travel. For us, it's not a vacation so much as how we normally live.

      This might well be the year we hunker down and stay close to home.

      Delete