StatCounter

Monday, October 24, 2016

October Snow



I woke up to snow blowing around Sunday morning. It didn't sick on the ground at my place, but accumulated in other places nearby. Cars coming from 20 miles north were covered in inches of snow. We were just below the snow line. 100 – 200 feet higher elevation got lots of ground cover. It will warm up enough in a few days to melt most of it.

Back when I was kid, might have been the winter of 68/69, snow started falling in October. It never melted and kept piling up all winter. My dad and my uncle were at their hunting camp when the snow started coming down. They had to shovel 3 foot deep snow for a ¼ mile to get to the main logging road. That had not been plowed either, but some logging trucks had broken trail the 9 miles into town. It was a tough trip in a Plymouth sedan.

Life in the North Country can get interesting. I'm sure my kids remember Halloween costumes that had to fit over snowsuits.

My lovely wife and I have been snowbirds for quite a few years now. Nothing like October snow to remind us why. Some years we'd hit the road before now. Not this year. We are sticking it out. Usually we'd be gone by early January at the latest. I'm starting to question our resolve for staying here through the winter.

I don't feel like doing much outside when the wind is howling and there's a mix of snow and rain. Nothing you do outside in those conditions is going to be fun. I'd much rather get colder temperatures and light fluffy snow. Not too cold, but cold enough to keep everything from turning into mush.

On the bright side, I'm feeling pretty healthy yet. With my damaged lungs I'd often start a hacking cough in early October and it would last until May. That's on of the main reasons we'd head south. Warm moist Florida sea air would soon quiet the cough. Over the years my damaged lungs have improved somewhat. It's a slow process.

Well, this little taste of snow is a wake up call. This week I'll be shopping for new snow tires for the car, getting the old tank filled, and piling up more firewood. So it goes.

-Sixbears

12 comments:

  1. Face mask, scarves are how I handled winter in Kansas. If the air is below freezing I wrap up my face. May look weird to be in a flannel shirt with a scarf wrapped around my head but it kept my asthma at bay.

    Duluth Trading at one time had a face mask that pre-warmed the air before it hit your lungs. Wonder if they still have it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll check into face masks. Good idea. I'm sure someone carries something that would help.

      Delete
  2. Think I wouldn't do well with snow and the cold. I'd rather stay south where I'm relatively warm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is an experimental year for me to see if I've recovered enough to endure the cold. There are things about winter I enjoy -or at least, I used to.

      Delete
  3. i don't like heat, hated florida, but told husband today that a move to a little warmer zone would not be unwelcome.
    almanac predicts extreme cold for most of usa and canada this year.
    doesn't look good.
    i like at least enough cold to keep the bugs to a manageable size.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you familiar with the term "Half Back?" People who go from the north to FL but come half way back as FL's too warm.

      Delete
  4. I'm getting on in years and the thought of shoveling heavy wet snow is making me cringe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As well it should. Shoveling snow is a major killer.

      Delete
  5. Here in the Portland area we got four and a half inches of rain on Friday night, and 45mph winds Saturday. No snow yet, though I see a light frost on the truck this morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've a friend in the area who's well went dry so I'm sure he's happy to get the rain.

      Delete
  6. The weather can be capricious. I've seen it snow in April in Georgia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Georgia can be surprisingly cold at times -when it's not brutally hot. Big difference in the mountains too.

      Delete