StatCounter

Friday, October 21, 2016

Time Management



The only thing we have in life is time. It's our most precious commodity. Time is life. When we go to work, we sell our time, which is like selling little bits of our life. Be careful how you sell your life.

Now I get that people have to have some sort of income. If you can make a living doing a job you love, that's ideal. Unfortunately, too many people work to survive. If that's what you have to do to support your family, that's a noble sacrifice.

If, on the other hand, you are working at a job you hate to buy things you don't need or want, that's a really bad deal. It's also one of those things that sneaks up on people. Many people sacrifice to buy stuff that they are only getting because that's what's expected of them. We are social animals and it's easy to follow the herd.

What I can't understand are those people who have good retirements and then don't know what to do with themselves. Did they forget to have dreams? Could it be a lack of imagination that causes people to take crappy jobs, “to stay active.” Maybe they've been stuck inside a box so long they don't know what to do with themselves when they get out?

Recently, as favor for a friend, I joined one of those professional networks. My profile is probably one of the weirdest ones. I make it very clear that I am not looking for a normal job, nor am I'm looking to climb the ladder of success. It's the job resume for someone who does not want to work a real job.

That doesn't mean I won't work. However, I'm doing work that I either really enjoy or work that pays really really well. Ideally, one that does both. That being said, if there's some dire need for money and my employment options are limited I'll take the job until the crisis is over. That's one of the things I did when I first got married and had some surprise expenses. Sacrifices are made for your family.

I will donate my time, but that's something else. We all have to do our part to make the world a bit better. People have been confused to see me do work for free that I refuse to do for pay. Giving labor out of love for my fellow man is a gift that makes me feel good. However, they often can't pay me enough if that satisfaction is taken away.

My view on time and work is skewed by my life experiences. One of the major influences is when I was seriously injured on my job as a firefighter. No one could tell me if I was ever going to improve or how close to normal I could get. Many months of suffering went by before I could even think of having a future. Since then, I know how truly precious time is. I got a second chance at life and I'm not going to waste it.

-Sixbears

10 comments:

  1. "Tick, tick, tick. That's the sound of your life running out." Paraphrased from creepy psycho on Dexter but the sentiment remains the same. Unless you are devoutly Buddhist, we only get one crack at life and should probably do something worthwhile with it.
    On fees: I usually charge what they can afford. If they po' ass, I do it for nothing or swap something of value to me. If they rich as, I charge them hard and sleep well afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't mind a few more turns around wheel. Too much to experience in just one lifetime.

      I got some good news on a job a did. My efforts solved their problem and saved them thousands of dollars and days of work. Not bad for an hour's work.

      Delete
  2. I totally understand. However, if you're self-employed, folks will insist that "you don't have a job." Often then, They'll try to get you to do stuff for them for free, "since you don't have anything to do." Been there, managed not to murder anyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You didn't murder anyone? Even when they deserved it? You, my friend, are building a mansion in heaven.

      I tell people I'm "Self-unemployed." It confuses them.

      Delete
  3. As they say - Life is what happens to you while you are making other plans -
    Most of us wind up doing what we have to to pay the mortgage and put food on the table, seldom we get to do what we want. Thirty eight years of swinging a hammer have taken their toll. I definitely do not enjoy the physical pain or the broken body. I do appreciate the end result. At the end I always add time and materials together and look at it and ask myself; would I pay that for that job? More often than not I say no, and try to whittle down the final invoice some. Even with the jerks I have a hard time justifying the cost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On nice thing about building things is that you have something physical to look at by the end of the day.

      I was lucky to be a firefighter. Loved it -even though it almost killed me.

      Delete
  4. I enjoyed my jobs, especially after I started to work for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. SELF EMPLOYED

    means doing what you wanna do!

    why complicate the meaning?

    Wildflower

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For fun and games?

      Yeah, I suppose Self Employed is good enough.

      Delete