StatCounter

Sunday, May 5, 2019

Hopeful signs



Saturday the ice on the lake was about half gone. It’s supposed to be half way decent today and tomorrow so that should take care of the rest of it. There still snow piled at the end of my driveway, but it’s shrinking fast. It’s entirely possible that we might have something that looks somewhat like spring. Maybe.

The loons are back on the lake. Once again their haunting cries echo across the hills. For me, nothing says northern lake like the sound of the loons. The eagle is hanging around the open water. Osprey are back. There are even patches of green here and there.

For folks in most of the rest of the rest of the country, spring has been around for some time. I’ve even heard some people complaining about the humidity. We’ve barely had any time in the low 60s. I think the only reason the snow’s melted so fast is due to all the rain we’ve had.

With better weather I’ve been able to do more walking. I’ve a long way to go before I’m back in condition, but progress is being made. There are a lot of projects I’d like to dive into, but I’m going to pace myself. It’s also means I’m going to organize the jobs by priority. I’m sure I won’t get them all done. The last think I want to do is to reinjure myself.

One project pretty high up on the list is getting the sailboat ready for the water. Our nice weather is too short to spend all of it swinging a hammer or pushing a shovel.

-Sixbears

5 comments:

  1. Loon calls are only known to me via that old Henry Fonda movie "On Golden Pond". Haven't seen it since it was new. Need to search it on Netflix or YouTube.
    Take it slow, but keep moving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun fact, "Golden Pond," is actually Squam Lake. It's a ways to the south of me.

      Delete
  2. I remember when I was kid hearing the call of the loons on the upper Allegheny River. Your blog brings back some great memories.

    ReplyDelete