StatCounter

Friday, May 17, 2019

Peace and Quiet



I just saw this article about 10 towns in New Hampshire that offer nothing but peace and quiet.

I happen to live smack dab between two of them. One of them I go to because it has more going on than what I have in my town. The other one, however, doesn’t even have a gas station or a place to buy a gallon of milk. My town has that, at least. Of course, the gas station is a couple miles from where I live.

My house is in one of those places that when a car goes by, you usually recognize it and know the driver. When someone in the area gets a new car it takes a while to get used to.

The world is getting more urban. People are leaving small towns and heading in the cities. A small town is considered doing well if its population is static instead of shrinking.

Small towns used to have a business or two that provided employment. A lot of businesses moved to cheap labor countries. Other jobs have been automated. It also makes more sense to have economies of scale. Did you know that most of the world’s socks are made in one city in China?

Cities have a lot of stuff going on, but you’d better be prepared to pay for everything. Urban life isn’t cheap. On the other hand, wages tend to be higher. The trick, if you can do it, is to have big city wages and live in a small town. Thanks to the Internet that’s possible for a select group of people. For some jobs it does not matter where one lives. As long as they can get on-line, they can work.

Peace in quiet isn’t for everyone. It can drive some folks insane, but it’s what I need to stay sane.

-Sixbears

6 comments:

  1. Ahhh, you speak my truth. We're 30 minutes from anywhere useful shops-wise and on a dead end road. I know all the regular vehicles by both sight and sound so any interlopers stand right out.
    The quiet is deafening...even if it makes the tinnitus louder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks to the quiet I can clearly hear the voices in my head. :)

      Delete
  2. My favorite place to work was from home, which I did for a large percentage of my working career.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are a smart man Dizzy. Best way to work.

      Delete
  3. I live in the 'burbs in a mid size town, so its 'sorta' quiet. But now deep woods miles from the city. We have some rural property and even that is becoming noiser, one of the neighbors will blare out Tex-Mex music full blast, you can hear that from miles. Not cool dude - ever hear of head phones, blast those all you want.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think people are actually scared of real quiet and the sounds of nature.

      Delete