StatCounter

Saturday, May 18, 2019

The Gig Economy



It seems everybody’s got a side gig these days. Most folks have some sort of side thing going on to make a few bucks. I get it. It’s tough to get by on just one job these days. There are plenty of people who don’t have a regular job so they put together a bunch of part time ones. One friend of mine once had nine jobs going at the same time. When did she sleep?

I get it, but I don’t like it. Nobody has a hobby that is just a hobby. The thing that people once used as a distraction is now just another chance to make money. Hobbies used to provide stress relief, but if you really need that income from the hobby, it’s stressful.

Is it possible to just hang out and socialize with friends anymore? It seems every party is a networking opportunity or a chance to sell something to someone.

Okay, maybe I’m just a terrible business person. Rarely do I use my skills, knowledge and tools to make money. If someone needs something I’m much more likely to donate my skills and time for free. I think that back when families could live on a single income they could afford to be more generous.

It has gotten really hard to find volunteers these days. About the only way volunteer organizations can still function is because of all those people who have decent retirements. Of course, those nice retirement packages are a thing of the past. Instead of reading to children the recent retirees have to put on a funny vest and work retail. The Nation is poorer as a society for it.

-Sixbears

10 comments:

  1. They've got us where they want us......almost.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Harder and harder to keep the wolves at bay these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wolves? Wolves I can handle. Nice doggy! It's those darn bankers and politicians.

      Delete
  3. I notice a lot of oldsters working at my local Wal-Mart these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somehow I think the world would be a better place if they could spend time with their grandkids instead.

      Delete
  4. I worked until I was 70 years old. Had no retirement except SS. So, we had to seriously cut back on things. Every now and then we have to dip into savings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least you have savings. Beats working for minimum wage at a big box store.

      Delete
  5. I'm one of the lucky ones who has SS and an annuity I bought 10 years ago. I do the reading to other folks' grandkids, and volunteer at the local hospital so they don't have to hire someone else. Tight budget, yes, but my time is my own to give or not. As long as I still have plenty (of time) to give to my own family and church, I'll continue, but I'm learning to say NO.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To me, freedom to use my time as I want is worth more than money. Keep up the good work.

      However, it is important to be able to say no. You have to recharge your own batteries from time to time.

      Delete