StatCounter

Tuesday, July 25, 2023

Unwalkable



My woods across the road are pretty rough walking in the best of times. After all the rain we’ve gotten it’s gotten much much worse. New Hampshire has a well deserved reputation for being rocky. My property is no exception. The rain has softened the soil between those rocks. It’s easy to twist an ankle or even break a leg in the sudden sinkholes. 


Just to make things interesting the soft ground and thunderstorm winds have knocked down numerous trees. It’s like a giant game of pickup sticks out there. It’s especially bad for the shallow root species like fir and spruce. 


Once the ground dries out there will plenty of work for my chainsaw. However, at the rate things are going we’ll probably have frozen ground before we have dry ground. 


My neighbor’s dog pulled the leash out of her hand when it saw a fox. When the dog didn’t come back she got some friends together to look for it. It wasn’t that far off in the brush, but it took a couple hours to get to it. The dog’s leash had tangled up in the downed trees. Fortunately, nobody got hurt. 


It’s been a wet summer and we haven’t had as bad as some other places not too far away. 


-Sixbears

1 comment:

  1. It's been wet. That can make some dangerous walking. My yards almost at a nice mowable stage. I'll try tomorrow. It was the wettest I've ever seen it, and I've been here now for 20 years. Soggy....

    ReplyDelete