StatCounter

Friday, July 1, 2016

Return of the bear



The dog woke me at 4 a. m. again, all excited. This time I figured it was probably a bear so I grabbed one of my larger handguns on the way out the door.

My little 30 pound beagle mix once again successfully chased the bruin off.

The bear had been busy. Some years back I used to store waste vegetable oil in 60 gallon plastic barrels. The waste veggie would be left a while to let some of the crud settle out. Then I'd pump the veggie from the top of the tank to use in my diesel engines. In more recent years my oil supply started to put the waste veggie back in the 4.5 gallon containers they came in. It made for a lot less handling and the barrel system was discarded.

The drums were pumped out and the residue cleaned up with a biodegradable degrease r. Apparently not all the grease got cleaned out of one of the barrels. Over the years some rain water collected in it through the little 3 inch bunghole.

The bear dragged the barrel down the hill and dumped out out the grease, water, and degreaser slurry. Believe me, it's foul. If the bear ate any of it, he's not going to be feeling well. If he does get sick he'll avoid my place, so maybe it'll work out.

He also flipped over a log bench and tore it apart. The bench's been sitting long enough that the base logs have a little rot in them. The bear destroyed the bottom of the logs looking for bugs and worms. Can't blame him for that as that's what bears do in the wild.

Years ago I had a sock type grease filter that I had soaking in a 5 gallon bucket of degreaser and water. In the night a bear came by and drank half the bucket. That bear stayed away and I wasn't bothered by bears for years.

A friend recommended pouring some ammonia in a garbage can. When the bear digs in the can he'll get annoyed and move on. I'm going to try that next. Also going to reinforce my basement door.

There's a guy from Rhode Island down the road from me who's feeding the beast. I've yet to get it into his head that he's not doing the bear any favors. Nuisance bears get destroyed. I really do not want that to happen this bear. At this point I'm mostly concerned with keeping him away from my place.

-Sixbears

9 comments:

  1. Invite the neighbor to help you clean up his PET Bears mess. Or ask game and wildlife to explain it to him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The guy just gave up on rural life and is moving back to Rhode Island.

      Delete
  2. Maybe, just maybe, he'll stop feeding it when it breaks into his house.. Some people justhave to learn the hard way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if the bear scared him. He's moving.

      Delete
  3. Before I travel I put out my garbage for pick up while I'm gone. Before putting it out I soak a paper towel in ammonia and put that on top of the garbage in the trash bag then seal it up. Before I started doing that I did have a bear get into the garbage and spread it all over the place. Since using the ammonia, no problems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good tip. Right now I only put out the trash 15 minutes before the truck comes.

      Delete
  4. The ammonia seemed to work with dogs that started getting into my trash years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's no longer around my basement so it might be working.

      Delete