StatCounter

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Veggie oil connections



I drive a vehicle powered by waste vegetable oil, so I don't just eat at a new restaurant. I have to talk to the owner to see what they do with their waste veggie. Turns out they have a company that's supposed to haul it away. They haven't yet and the barrels are filling up. The owner wasn't too happy with them from the get go as they didn't set up the collection barrels where she wanted them. If the company doesn't provide the service they promised, she now knows I'm willing to do the job.

My lovely wife and I spent the day running errands. As soon as we got home the phone rang. It was another new restaurant that wanted their waste oil hauled away. They'd called me last week, and already the had more waste oil than they knew what to do with. Their place was was hard to find. They don't even have a sign yet. It's a tiny place with just a few tables. They have a huge bank of fryers and were doing a brisk take out business.

After loading up their oil jugs I went home only to get a call with another veggie oil lead. A restaurant added fries to their menu and the waste veggie is piling up. This one I passed on to a friend of mine who also burns veggie. He lives much closer to the place than I do so he's in a better position to pick it up.

I'm happy to pass on this one as I've got enough. Besides, the guy salvaged a propane regulator I needed and is going to help me move a stove.

I love the underground economy.

-Sixbears

11 comments:

  1. Sounds like you have it figured out and working just fine! I'm certainly glad to see it going that well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, you might just parlay your connections into being the state's veggie-oil kingpin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could have done that years ago, but I'm lazy. Just want my friends and I to have enough to get by. Also like to keep things informal.

      Delete
  3. If you need a little extra income, you could become a used veggie oil broker (grin).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've confused me with an ambitious person. :)

      Delete
    2. Oh yeah, sorry about that (grin).

      Delete
  4. "I love the underground economy."

    You and a whole lot of other folks!
    It's estimated to be about two TRILLION dollars worth in this country alone, every year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to be part of a growing sector for a change. :)

      Delete
  5. we never called it the underground economy we called it being neighborly.
    deb harvey

    ReplyDelete