StatCounter

Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Almost melted in the hot sun



My lovely wife and I have been getting the boat ready for our trip. I changed the plugs in the outboard and rewired the charging plug. My dad just happened to have built an outboard stand. He doesn't have an outboard. Of course, he won't say he did it for me, but we both know. Thanks dad.

I must admit to not being quite acclimated to working in the hot Florida sun yet. By noon time I thought I was going to melt. Heat stroke is no joke so my lovely wife and I took a break until later in the afternoon.

We could leave with the boat the way it is now. However, I'm going to tweak a few more things before heading out. Some projects are easier to do on the hard than on the water. The thing about boats is that there is always more that can be done to them. At some point if you don't say “good enough” the boat never leaves the dock. The trick is to make sure the essentials are done.

One thing that's been missing this trip has been organization. Before leaving New Hampshire, we wanted to have everything organized. It didn't go well. At some point we threw our hands up and tossed everything in the van. After all, we could always sort it out while staying with my daughter in Massachusetts for a few days.

Then on the way down we got into a little fender bender. The time that would have gone into organization went into trailer repairs. Not only that, the accident tossed things around a bit. Finally, we are sorting out the mess. The sailboat is small, so we must organize. That's the only way to fit in all we need without forgetting anything. My lovely wife made some progress with organization while I was working on the outboard. It won't take much to get everything ship shape and Bristol fashion.

While it's not as exciting as dancing with the dolphins, boat work has to be done. We are in no hurry. It's not like we only have a week or two down here. We aren't exactly on vacation. When the time stretches to months, it's a lifestyle.

I'm also enjoying time with dad, as I'm lucky to still have him.

-Sixbears

8 comments:

  1. You're truly blessed to still have your dad. I was 29 when I lost mine, but that was still too soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trust me, I'm serious when I say enjoy your time together while you can.

    I just buried my Dad last week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've always been close and yes, I know how lucky I am.

      Delete
  3. Check lists are only good if it's on the list to begin with! Glad you are enjoying the time with your Dad. Mine has been gone for almost 17 years and I still miss him. Phil, sorry for your loss. The worst part of it is that you can't share anything anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point about lists.

      Hope my dad keeps on going for a long while yet. I'm glad he can still take care of himself.

      Delete
  4. Not many things harder than losing a loved one. Mom turns 89 in a week, so that's a good thing!

    Enjoy the visit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you Hermit Jim. Visit is going well.

      Delete