StatCounter

Friday, October 18, 2013

Stuff to do and stuff done



My van just barely limped into my dad's yesterday due to a plugged fuel filter. Today I had the joy of replacing the filter. Whoever designed the filter system on a 2001 ES 350 van has some explaining to do. It's nearly impossible to change the filter, even after substantial disassembly of various engine components. Nearly is not completely so I eventually was able to accomplish the task. Sometimes the solution is brute strength.

I had two spare filters on-board. One bad load of diesel and filters quickly die, so having a couple handy is a good practice. Also, every tool necessary to change a filter is kept on board the van. Another handy item is a headlamp. Sure beats holding a flashlight in one's teeth.

The previous time the filter had been changed back in February at a New York State rest area. It was 30 degrees, windy and dark. Today, in Florida, it was 80, sunny, and I was working in my parking area.

While the van was apart I attempted to fix the AC. I'm not sure if the fix will hold, but I thought I'd try the economy patch job first.

Part of settling in to my dad's place was getting connected to his home computer network. He had computer work done since I'd last been here, so the password was new. Dad could not find where he'd written the new code. It took a good hour and half with two different technical support people to acquire the password. At least everyone was patient, so it could have been worse.

My lovely wife and I even worked in a little shopping. Sadly, my dad's refrigerator is stocked with the quick frozen meals of the older bachelor. We bought some real food for all of us. In our travels I was able to pick up a few little marine supplies that were unavailable back home.

-and this was supposed to be a rest day.

Apparently we didn't need the rest. I must admit that I felt worse at the start of our trip than at the end of it. After doing all the last minute house chores and loading the boat and van, I was pretty beat. We made plenty of stops on the way down and it paid off.

I see the government decided to put off the day of reckoning one more time. A casual reading of the agreement seems to point to large amounts of pork spending being used to grease the skids. There's always money to bribe key congress critters. Looks like an expensive way to kick the can down the road.

Here's an idea. Let's use all the unlimited money that we were going to spend on a Middle Eastern war on the US economy instead. There's never a money shortage for war. Let's use some of that magic money domestically.

-Sixbears

12 comments:

  1. Glad you got the van fixed and began to settle in.
    I agree we could use some of that war chest on intrastructure here.We realy need to use a billion or so rounds of ammo on capital hill next time its in session.A dozen decent people may catch a round but thats about all that are in office.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny. In general, we hate Congress, yet we keep reelecting our local congress critters. What a scam.

      Delete
  2. Did that AC quick-fix involve duct tape? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll go along with the using up the war money for our broken system, but will it help? Only if we can keep the greedy paws from snatching at it!

    Glad the trip went well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greed knows no bounds.

      Trip could have been worse. Eventually I'll have to knock that big dent out of the front bumper, but that's just cosmetic.

      Delete
  4. Who said getting there is half the fun? Washington will never go hungry with all the pork they eat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They know all about "bringing home the bacon."

      Delete
  5. All that $$$$ to military industrial complex.Born 1950 ben in a war since 1950.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were warned about the military industrial complex.

      Delete
  6. How about all that foreign aid? Let's use Syria's and Iran's portions to beef up our own infastructure! Isolationist? Guess maybe so ~ I support helping those who help us, not our enemies. Enjoy Fla & your dad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some domestic aid would be nice rather than supporting bad characters around the world.

      Dad's put me to work, but that's fine. Just powerwashed his house.

      Delete