StatCounter

Monday, August 11, 2014

Epoxyed my ear to the phone



There I was, working on my little sailboat project. I mixed up a big batch of epoxy. After epoxy is mixed the clock is running. Because it's often on the cool side here in New Hampshire I use the fast setting hardener. That's great, except it was warm today so my working time was pretty short. Epoxy is not cheap so once mixed the only thing to do is to keep going until it's used up.

The first thing I had to epoxy was inside the cabin, under the rowing seat. There are some rough areas in the cabin because all the sanding has yet to be done. That's how my leg got scrapped up pretty bad. So there I am, my leg is bleeding and I'm working upside down with my head stuck in a tight place. That's when I notice the roller pan is leaking, leaving little trails of epoxy all over the cabin floor. So in addition to rolling the new stuff, the drips are being rolled out to keep the floor smooth.

Finally, I finish up and crawl out of the cabin. Since I've got my grubby clothes on I take the time to mix another batch, this time with thickener. That was used to strengthen some of the joints in the cockpit. Once done the disposable gloves, eye protection and my epoxy splattered shirt came off.

Only then did I take the time to clean my scrapped up leg and apply antibiotic ointment. Fortunately, I clot pretty quickly. Good thing I'm not taking a daily aspirin.

A little later the phone rings. After a short conversation I try to hang up the phone. It was stuck to my ear and had to be gently pulled off. Unnoticed, some epoxy had gotten on my ear and had dried to the point where it was very tacky. Good thing it was not a long long phone call.

-Sixbears

8 comments:

  1. We've all joked about people being glued to their phones these days. I just never thought you'd be one of those people! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, that's very funny. Epoxy has no scruples...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being able to laugh at myself, I never lack for entertainment.

      Delete
  3. Well now you know first hand or should I say first ear the strength and flexibility of your epoxy. :-)

    We haven't seen any boat photo's lately, if you don't mind could you post some more?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just me getting into another sticky situation.

      Delete
  4. I would love to have seen your face when you realized you'd glued yourself to your phone! I do that kind of stuff all the time.

    ReplyDelete