StatCounter

Monday, August 24, 2015

The spice of life



What do you call a salt and pepper shaker? The New England spice rack. I grew up eating good food, but we didn't use a lot of spice. My lovely wife on the other hand grew up in a more cosmopolitan area and was exposed to the cuisine of different cultures. When we used to visit her parents I almost always got serious intestinal distress after about day 3. It took me a while to figure out my system was not used to all that spice. Over time I adjusted.

I like to say that my lovely wife brought spice into my life, and not just in my food. Left to my own devices I might have turned out to be some sort of hermit. I'm comfortable being completely alone. In fact, from time to time I need it. My friends used to think I'd be last one of our group to get married. Instead, I became the first in our group to tie the knot. When the right one comes along, commit. Never mind if the time is wrong or there's no money, or you are too young. Never let the right one get away.

People look at our adventures and assume that I'm dragging my poor suffering wife along for the ride. Trust me, if she didn't want to go, she wouldn't go. Besides, a lot of those crazy ideas are hers. There are times I'm the one being dragged along. After almost 37 years of marriage she still surprises me.

We are at the point in our lives where it's hard to see where the ideas originate. Our craziness is a collaboratory effort. I might have an idea or she might have an idea. No matter, as in short order we are both adding spice to the adventure.

-Sixbears

4 comments: