StatCounter

Sunday, October 29, 2017

Navigation Skills



Lost hikers have died because they relied on GPS and their phone. Signals are lost and batteries fail.

Even in this electronic and technological world, there is room for the simple compass. They are cheap and reliable, but require a few skills. However, those skills are really not all that hard to learn.

What is it about GPS navigation that's so much better than a compass? Precision. We've gotten used to being able to know exactly where we are. A compass is not nearly so direct. However, with a compass and a good map or chart, you stand a fair chance of getting your position close enough. While you probably won't always know exactly where you are, often you'll be able to figure it out. Extensive map and compass skills are beyond the scope of simple blog post. There are organizations and institutions where those skills are taught. If nothing else, there are some good videos on the Internet.

When I was a young lad running around in the woods, my dad gave me a compass and instructed me in its basic use. All a compass really does is point to magnetic north, but knowing even one direction provides key information. My dad would send me off, a young boy, alone, into a huge softwood swamp without trails. He'd tell me that when I wanted to get out, just head east. In that direction lay a long dirt road running north to south. Eventually I'd bump in that road. Once on the road all I'd have to do is head south until I came to the camp. Sometimes it would turn into a long walk, but at least I was not lost.

The key is to trust your compass. There were times I swore I was heading exactly in the opposite direction, but the compass did not lie. In fact, if you head in a straight line long enough, eventually you'll come to civilization. A person with no navigational aids tends to wander in circles. It appears the way humans are built. Circles don't get you out of the woods.

The best thing about a compass is that require no batteries to operate. They are simply a magnet on a pivot that orientates with the earth's magnetic field. They can be messed up by being too close to iron, steel or other magnetic fields. Avoid being to close to those things and they'll work properly.

Sometimes the old ways are best. I'm not saying to throw away your GPS. They are great; when they work. A compass is a necessary backup. Not only that, they work great together. When boating, I'd start heading to a GPS waypoint. Then I'd mark the direction with a compass and turn off the GPS to save batteries. When I estimated that I was getting close to the way point, I'd turn the GPS on to confirm my compass navigation. After that it's on to the next way point.

Old school navigation skills could save your life someday.

-Sixbears



8 comments:

  1. I always had a compass, but I rarely ever used it. Being a country boy, I was always pretty aware of the terrain, and especially the streams. When I hiked or camped in the back-country I ALWAYS had a good topo map.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and I grew up wandering the woods and have skills that we don't even think about. Even so, having a good top map is darn handy.

      Delete
  2. Most young people today don't even know the sun rises in the east. Probably couldn't find their way out of a paper bag.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some very good advice, my friend. Many of us should pay heed to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to see you come by today Hermit. Thanks for the kind words.

      Delete
  4. Yup, and stay away from liquid dampened compasses, they can develop a bubble or leak and don't work well without the liquid. Yes, aid dampened take a bit of time to settle down, but they work. Of course distance yourself from metal to be sure the needle isn't influenced by it. That last piece for the younger uninitiated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Umm ... air dampened instead of aid dampened, brain starved for coffee apparently, my apologies.

    ReplyDelete