StatCounter

Wednesday, October 25, 2017

What a difference a year makes



A year ago we had snow piling up on the ground. This year I'm running around outside in my shorts and sandals. The extended warm spell has allowed me to get more projects done. Well, that and we did some hiking. Can't have all work and no play.

Here's a quick update on my well supply line project. I was able to run a ½ water line about 23 feet down the old line before friction became too much. I dug down to the supply line, cut into and retrieved the ½ line. Then I connected the rest of the larger supply line to the ½ line. I'd hoped to get past the break in the supply line, but apparently it's further down.

The good news is that there's 23 feet I don't have to dig and it's the part under the house foundation footing. What I'm going to do is run new line from the hole I dug all the way down to the well. Since I'm only going to be here until early January, just shallow burying it should work. The frost doesn't usually go down deep until late in the winter. If we get some predicted show cover I'll be fine for sure.

My buddy is just finishing up his fire duties with the Forest Service, so he's coming up to help soon. We should be able to knock out the rest of this project in an afternoon. Next spring I can take the time to dig up the rest of the line until I find the break.

Rather than mess around with the water lines by myself, I went back to working on my boat trailer. All the lug nuts on one side are very hard to move. Every single one of them had to be hammered free. Right now I'm waiting for WD-40 to work it's magic on the last two. Swarms of midges drove me back into the house. Here's a little hint: do not have a coughing fit in the middle of a midge swarm. That does not go well.

The warm weather has saved me a bundle on heating costs. I haven't even bothered with the woodstove yet. Running oil heat a little now and then has been enough to keep the place warm. My lovely wife and I may even go sailing another time or two before I have to pull the boat out of the lake. It's all good.

-Sixbears

10 comments:

  1. Sounds like things are coming together and so are you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool - I hope your winter continues to be a mild case. :^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! -at least until we hitch the boat up and head south.

      Delete
  3. 50-50 mix of acetone and Dextron ATF does wonders on stuck rusty lug-nuts.
    Have you tried the optic fiber snake to get a look inside the water line yet? I was thinking you could use the 1/2 line shoved in as far as it will go hooked up to a pressure washer to flush out any sediment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll save the recipe. I flushed out the sediment, but have difficulty getting the probe far enough down the line. Also, someone has to lie down in the much to feed the line right. Hasn't been fun.

      Delete
  4. Will a mosquito veil help with midges?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you can get all that fixed before the snow comes. Once it gets cold here, I fort up. That's my time of the year to do indoor things, like reloading and fiddling with my radios.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judging from the weather forecast,I should be able to get the essential stuff done. Made progress on the list today.

      Delete