StatCounter

Saturday, April 28, 2018

Property in Florida



I spend a fair amount of time in Florida. A number of people have asked me if I want to own property there. Plenty of people up here in New Hampshire have winter homes in Florida. My dad ended up selling his place in NH and only owning a trailer in Florida.

Obviously I enjoy being in Florida. However, it's not a place I'd care to own property. Owning a place would restrict me to one area of Florida. While I spend a lot of time in the state, I spend it all over the state. This past winter my lovely wife and I camped from the Keys to the Panhandle and everywhere in between. We love the St. Augustine area in the Northeast, but also like areas in the Southwest part of the state.

There are plenty of places where it's great to vacation, but you wouldn't want to live there. For example, the natural attractions might be nice, but the local politics could be a mess. I've talked to people who've sold land they've owned because they couldn't afford the bribes needed for a building permit. Even without blatant corruption, it can be difficult for an outsider to find one's way around.

Of course, I love boating in Florida waters. You don't need property for that. Sure, there are times when I think that a small place with a good boat dock would be ideal. Then I think of the price of waterfront property, taxes, flood insurance, and hurricanes, and wake up from the dream. Sometimes I think most of the state is a sandbar that might just get washed away one day.

So for now, while my health is still reasonably good and I'm strong, the snowbird thing works.

-Sixbears

6 comments:

  1. Even I am thinking about moving out of Florida because of the hurricanes and now there are to many people and constant traffic jams does not make for a laid back lifestyle.
    Buy a boat and trailer it down, it's what your really want anyways. To me it would make sense to rent dock space at various full service marinas and not be locked into property ownership, insurance and taxes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The best thing about a boat is being able to life anchor and move to another port.

      That's also one of the nice things about camping too. We never stayed at a place long enough to get tired of it.

      Delete
  2. I lived in Florida for a few years. Moved here because salaries were not up to the cost of living. There may not be state income tax but property taxes are outrageous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wages tend to be low. Property taxes are high, and insurance is no joke either. Fine place if you have a nice retirement.

      Delete
  3. I almost bought a lot 6 years ago there. was only 5200$ for a 75x150 foot in a nice area. It once had a M.H. on it. I was going to put a shed on it and leave A camper stored there for us and the kids.Between 12 of us it would have been a bargain cost per stay. I didn't buy it, saw it sold 3 years ago for 19,000$ and had a cute bungalow built on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be trouble when a lot of people are involved. Maybe you saved yourself some headaches in the long run?

      Delete