StatCounter

Wednesday, May 24, 2023

The Pantry Issue



Looks like my food storage has taken a hit. There’s nothing wrong with it in general. It’s the people I have to feed that has caused issues. Right now I’m regularly feeding three people. One has a rare condition where most vegetables have to be avoided. Whole wheat is also a no no. Another person recently received allergy test results so cow milk, bananas, and egg whites are somewhat allergic. As for myself I should be eating a low salt diet. 


About the only things we all have in common are potatoes, white flour, white rice, meat and fish. I suppose it could be worse. Guess I’m stocking up on more of those items. It’s the dehydrated soups and stews that have proven problematic. Often there’s something on everyone’s forbidden list. 


I cook a lot of stews and soups from scratch. First I make a base with the ingredients that everyone can tolerate. Then I save a serving for the non vegetable eater. Only then are the precooked veggies added.. Everyone  salts their own dish. It’s a bit of a pain, but it works. I make special pizzas that fit everyone’s requirements. For dessert we can all have homemade non-dairy ice-cream. It’s actually really good. 


Of course, in a real emergency I’m betting the dietary rules won’t be followed as strictly. The side effects are milder than starving to death.


-Sixbears


9 comments:

  1. Well, so far the ingredients you have listed are all some of the best for good health. You and I do the cooking in our households. After awhile there is that Cheffy thing that catches up with you. Maybe we should open a restaurant of "Stuff"..? 80)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a lot of vegetarian dishes I like that one of our household just can't eat. I make them anyway, but I'm cooking two types of food come dinner time.

      Delete
  2. It's amazing the human race survived without knowledge of food allergies.

    Your wheat and veggies friend might want to see if non-pesticide wheat and veggies are OK. I've found that most of my allergic friends are allergic to Roundup and Co.

    I've never heard of an allergy to egg white, that's a new one for me. Maybe again something about Roundup contaminated chicken feed?

    Sadly, Montesanto the main dealer of Roundup is also a major cash flow into the FDA. Just like Pfizer pays for most of the FDA operations through a Congressional ruling that the companies they serve pay for that service act.

    Never a conflict of interest there, eh?

    Seriously medical historians have already linked most of our current hot button diseases-allergies to the overuse (note they coyly said "overuse") of chemicals for bugs and weeds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've mostly been eating cleanly raised local eggs, so the egg white thing caught me by surprise.

      Organic veggies and whole wheat were tried without success. It's the way their body handles fiber.

      Delete
    2. My wife is also allergic to egg whites and yolks. She has been since birth. There's a theory about certain blood groups and types and birth born allergies...

      Delete
    3. Allergies also develop as a response to chemical reactions.

      And sadly psychological Allergies happen secondary to a real allergy that was resolved by eliminating the chemical allergin.

      As in it made me sick before scenario.

      At least today we have options to eat something else.

      Michael

      Delete
    4. My wife has immune systems issues as it is. Frankly, she's doing amazing compared to a lot of people in her shoes.

      Delete
  3. 6 Bears if you're cleanly raised chickens are eating commercial chicken chow they are eating Roundup corn in it.

    Michael

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am aware. A couple years ago the local supply of commercial chicken feed was killing chickens. That changed how my local egg people fed their chickens. Big wake up call.

      Delete