StatCounter

Sunday, November 12, 2023

The Check’s in the Mail



Okay, I admit it. I liked paying my heating oil bill with paper checks. Writing checks is a pretty Boomer thing to do. However, I didn’t just write a check out of habit. It was a hostile act. While the oil company accepts checks they have a hard time processing them. That was fun. 


They’d have a paper check sitting in their office for almost a month before they would manage to cash it. I’ve gotten up to two late notices even though they had the check. In the end they’d cash it and I wouldn’t have any penalties for late payment. 


Then those bastards upped the game. There’s a discount for early payment. Even though cashing checks took a long time they’d have to honor the date on the check. Good fun. This last time they didn’t even send my the paper bill until the discount period had passed. I suppose I could have fought them on it but this game has pretty much run its course. 


I probably shouldn’t be messing with the company that keeps my house warm while it’s snowing outside. 


I need a new hobby.


-Sixbears


10 comments:

  1. Yeah, you DO need a new hobby. Unless sent by Certified mail and signature required your dome-a-cile COULD be "forgotten as a client " and get pretty cold. I've heard that fuel companies "Talk " to each other about deadbeats and troubled ex-customers. Nothing official but some of our local troubled people have been forced to do 20 pound cash and carry heating and cut your own firewood.

    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  2. 20 pound heating as in Walmart propane tanks.

    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seems like each year I voice my opinion on your procurement of fire wood. It's only easy in the spring and summer...
    Pretty difficult in deep snow lol
    Perhaps next year you'll be healthy enough to get some of that supposed easy plentiful wood surrounding the house ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The woodstove is pretty set but the oil heat allows me to sleep instead of getting up in the night to feed the stove. Anything to allow me to be lazy.

      Delete
  4. Some utility companies issue a shoutoff if they don't get a payment at least every three months. Starting a long project (not getting paid till done) sent enough to cover bill for five months. They had a hard time explaining why they shut me off with a credit balance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are rat bastards. I'm working on alternatives to oil heat. However, I've sunk costs in the furnace. Once that nears its end life I'll have something better.

      Delete
  5. hmmm, I purchase my oil a hundred gallons at a time from CN Brown. I get an early payment discount and an old fart discount. They have a discount if the main occupants are over 60 and I pay the day of the delivery. Very easy to work with. The discount is about 12 bucks per hundred gallons. Works for me.

    ReplyDelete