StatCounter

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

New washing machine

My lovely wife and I just picked out one of those high efficiency front loading washing machines. The old one developed a new glitch while we were away. It won't stop filling. To do a load of laundry, I've got to shut the water valve on and off by hand. It's a bit tedious.

If I was going the whole hippy route, we'd be washing clothes in a 5 gallon bucket. It can be done, but not by my lovely wife. There are limits. Besides, she's had surgeries on both shoulders and shouldn't do that sort of thing anyway. As for me, there are only so many hours in the day.

Now one of those high efficiency models makes a certain amount of sense to someone heading towards a lower energy lifestyle. Right off, it uses less electricity than the old style machines. It also uses a lot less water. Since my well pump runs off my solar electric system, less water usage leaves more energy for other things. Less water uses also means less stress on the septic system. They also use less soap, another plus.

They also cost a few bucks. We stretched our budget a bit and did the deal. We'll cut something else out. Another hand me down washing machine wasn't going to cut it. It's no longer worth the strain on my back to haul them around. The last one I put in only lasted a few months. Besides, it makes my wife very happy to have a new washing machine. If she ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.

My dishwasher failed at about the same time. That won't get replaced. It's not all that hard to wash dishes by hand -unlike washing clothes by hand. A guy's got to pick his battles.

-Sixbears

5 comments:

  1. Let me tell ya, the old saying is absolutely true,
    If Momma Ain't Happy, Nobody Is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya had something stuck in the solenoid valve which drains the water, causing it to drain forever.
    My wife has never allowed a dishwasher in her house.
    For seven years while on the boat, we used the 5 gal. bucket with a plunger method.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sixbears you made me think (Beauty is only skin deep ugly goes clear to the bone).Using the picture you posted of yourself can we trust your judgment?Not being critical just a little humor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Watch out Ted...Bears are known to bite !

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you have to be careful of those high efficiency models.... they may not get the job done. I've heard that none of current high efficiency front load washers do a satisfactory job compared a basic top load washer of 5 years ago. I believe the source was consumer report so take that with a grain of salt as well.

    ReplyDelete