StatCounter

Friday, August 23, 2013

Mobile phones and me



My daughter gave me her old iphone4. It's in great shape, like new condition. She's upgraded to a 5. I don't have a service for it yet, but I'm already putting it to good use. Without the phone capability enabled it's a lot like my old PalmTX. That too could connect to the Internet, play music, store e-books, and had a bunch of programs available. (Apps.) Of course, smart phones are all the rage, Palm is pretty much out of business, and technology moves on.

My plan is get a prepaid service plan for the months we'll be on the road. I should be able to us it to update my blog and stay in touch with everyone.

Our current cell phone is a 3.5 year old, $10 Tracfone. It replaced another $10 phone that I took for a swim in the ocean. The Tracfone I had before that was old enough that it could not connect to the network anymore as the standards had changed. Having the latest in phone technology is not my thing.

There's no cell phone service at my house, so mobile phones are only useful to me while on the road.

One more thing, don't anyone ever text me. My gorilla-like thumbs mash the whole electronic keyboard at once, so texting is another thing I won't do.

I'm glad the iphone 4 does not have Siri. There are enough idiots in my life. I don't need an artificial electronic one.

Technology is always changing. Paying premium prices for cutting edge products never interested me. The cheapest solution that will do the job is good enough.

Of course, I'm the sort of Luddite that will download a flashlight App so I can read a paper book in the dark.

-Sixbears



18 comments:

  1. Saves burning those dangerous candles! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes but you're a Progressive Luddite.
    Isn't that a wonderful oxymoron...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it! Mind if I steal it from you?

      Delete
    2. Consider it yours to use. Enjoy.
      I was contemplating going to go into politics at one stage, only for a nano second, and was going to name the political party The Progressive Luddites.
      I thought it was very funny. It comes with a special secret handshake too.
      You hold one hand out, flat and facing forward with the thumb extending out. The other person does the same with their hand and you touch thumb to forefinger and thumb to forefinger making a rectangle or a square. You can then look through it like a camera viewfinder or think outside it as in thinking outside the square... try it, you might like it... who knows, it may start a world wide movement...
      Haha, have fun...

      Delete
    3. Thanks Tortoise!

      That's a great political party. I had to work against going into politics as it was assumed that's one of the things I'd do. Just because my parents dabbled in it, doesn't mean I had to go down the same road.

      However, a cousin of mine . . .

      Delete
  3. On the flipside I haven't had a land line in years...my old Blackberry just chugs along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might do that someday -if we ever get cell phone service out here in the woods.

      Delete
  4. Yup when my old brick style phone dies, I guess the world can just kiss my patootie ha ha. Cuz damed if I care about any Eye Fun. Other than those two which I were issued from birth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss the sound and feel of my old rotary phone.

      Delete
    2. There is a free app that will bring the rotary dial to your Iphone. Really! Check it out.

      Delete
  5. I have an old LG phone. Takes me forever to text a message and the darn thing keeps taking pictures of the inside of my back pocket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since I don't text, it takes me no time at all.

      Delete
    2. Indeed, I just don't get this texting crapola. Much faster to talk than type.

      Maybe that's why they call it an I phone.
      People just want to text their thoughts without interference from others. Me, me, me, I, I, I

      Delete
  6. I would use one like you are planning, I have little use for a fancy phone when out working in the dirt. My fingers seem to be too big for the little screen though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably I'll keep it sealed up in a waterproof case and only take it out when needed. That's needed by me,not those who want to get hold of me.

      Delete
  7. I hear you on the texting, I sent my 1st text via my brother's phone and you could hardly make out the word, half the letters - numbers didn't belong. Lol it was bad!

    ReplyDelete