StatCounter

Friday, January 19, 2018

Frozen Florida



It was a cold morning at the campground in Florida. It takes longer to make coffee when there's ice in the coffee pot. Then just when it was almost done perking I accidentally knocked the peculator off the camp stove. All was lost. Back to square one.

Good thing I wasn't in a hurry. There was enough coffee for one more batch so 20 minutes later my lovely wife and I had our cups of morning joy.

It only got to 48 degrees. It was a good day to keep a campfire going continuously. Still, it wasn't as cold as back home in New Hampshire. I could still breath without coughing my lungs out. That alone made it worth the trip. Besides, we are about to have a warming trend. I expect to be swimming soon.

My aunt came over from their winter place in The Villages. I'm glad we connected. I've been a little out of touch with that side of the family. None of them live close. In fact, my aunt told me her older brother passed away back on October and no one let me know. Years ago we used to be in much closer contact. My mother used to keep in touch with everyone so once she passed we all slowly drifted apart.

Growing up I was close to all my aunts, uncles and all my cousins. Life gets complicated and everyone moved away. However, I think that those who are left realize that if we don't reconnect now, we may never.

-Sixbears

10 comments:

  1. The same happens with my family. Once the Grandparents pass on, keeping up with family gets put on hold, reserved for weddings and funerals. Years go by and then you realize there are more funeral plots than people to visit. A shame but that is reality for many, including myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Previous generations did a better job of hosting family gatherings.

      Delete
  2. My sister, brother and I have been apart for many years. Now we try to get together at least once a year. Unfortunately there are some members of the family I'd rather not know. Fortunately they live far enough away that I don't have to worry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My son attended his paternal aunt's funeral this month and hadn't seen these relatives since the last funeral. He didn't recognize many of them and I suggested they all wear name tags for the next funeral.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Same here, Sixbears. With Mama gone now, even my siblings and I, much less the 3rd and 4th cousins that we used to know well, don't get together. I try to keep tabs on big brother Hermit, but computers and cell phones make a face-to-face less often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only recently got on Facebook, but a lot of relatives aren't on it. Guess we are cut from the same cloth on that one.

      I'm glad my aunt and uncle made the effort to drive over. Shows they are interested in keeping in touch more.

      Delete