StatCounter

Tuesday, February 13, 2024

11 Months and Counting



That’s how long it’s taken me to get a new c-pap. I started the process back in March 2023. It has not been delivered yet, but the company I ordered it from just charged my account. Maybe it will be in before next week. 


It took months to see the heavily over booked sleep doctor. To shave a month off my appointment time I went to a different town where he sometimes has hours. Then it took months for the paper work and insurance to get processed. Eventually the approval came in.


Then I find out the machine I actually want is not covered by insurance. The compact model that can run on lithium batteries fits my life style better.  In the end I decided to pay out of pocket for what I actually wanted. After questioning the medical supply company it came to light that my co-pay, for the machine I didn’t want, would add up to over $500. The machine I wanted was a bit over $900 without insurance. 


Another downside to having insurance pay for it is that they monitor your usage over the internet. Seems invasive to me. My doctor said a lot of people take issue with that. They do the bare minimum to satisfy the insurance and then turn the machine to airplane mode. Of course, you can do what I did and buy your own machine and not report to anyone. The doctor says there’s a memory card that can record anything he needs for therapy and only he gets the info. That’s an option. 


Next time I might just go ahead and build my own darn machine. I’ve gotten pretty good at repairing salvaged machines so I have some idea how they work. 


-Sixbears


No comments:

Post a Comment