StatCounter

Saturday, June 29, 2024

Crazier than my friends



Over the years I’ve experienced a lot of interesting adventures. In my younger years it wasn’t too hard to find friends who were willing to do wild things. Young men, in general, don’t make the wisest decisions. That’s why the military wants to get them before they get too smart. 


Thirty below zero? Sure, let’s go on a snowshoeing adventure. Three day camping trip living off the land? Sounds like fun. Free climbing mountain cliffs? No problem. Plenty of friends wanted to join me. My white water canoe trips attracted lots of interest. 


I almost signed up for the Water Tribe small boat race. I even built a boat for the event and lined up a  good friend who was willing to take time off from work to do the event with me. That fell apart. However, my lovely wife and I took our Oday 19 sailboat down about 90% of the route in a much more relaxed manner without dealing with the race rules. 


My lovely wife was often very willing to partake in adventures. Hiking, canoeing, snowshoeing, sailing, van life -you name it, she was good to go. 


So who’s going to join me on the Scooter Cannonball? None of my friends have any interest in the event. Of course, we are all getting long in the tooth. That might be an issue. It could be as simple as me finally finding something too crazy for even my crazy friends. 


This looks like it might be a solo event. 


. . . however, I do have a daughter who expressed an interest in driving a support truck for me. Must be my genes influencing her to make crazy decisions. 


 . . . or maybe she’s afraid what her dear old dad will get up to without adult supervision. 


-Sixbears


2 comments:

  1. A pre coffee chuckle SNIP

    . . . or maybe she’s afraid what her dear old dad will get up to without adult supervision.

    Maybe, but I suspect you raised a good dutiful daughter that loves the Old Man.

    Love is more than a word to describe your fav coffee. It's actions to protect and support the human you love.

    I note the Greeks had 8 different words for Love.

    storge
    Original Greek: στοργή (storgé)

    Storge is familial love. Storge is the natural love that family members have for one another.

    Of all of the types of love, storge might be the easiest to understand. It is the type of love that parents feel toward their children and vice versa. Storge also describes the love that siblings feel towards each other, and the love felt by even more distant kin relationships, such as a grandparent for a grandchild or an uncle toward a niece.

    None of the Greek words discuss how much you love a fav food.

    Enjoy the summer friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm blessed that I was able to spend a lot of time with my kids when they were growing up. A lot of firefighters worked second jobs but then paid for childcare. Instead of doing that I got to raise the kids with my lovely wife.

      Delete