StatCounter

Thursday, June 27, 2024

Worse came to worse


In my previous post I wrote about wrenching on the motor scooter. I installed Dr. Pulley variator weights in the transmission. They were supposed to improve performance. Meh. Maybe they did, but they just didn’t feel as smooth as Honda original parts. Perhaps my installation wasn’t quite perfect? Anyway, I also went back to Honda parts for reliability. 


I think I’m done trying to tweak better performance out of the scooter. To be honest my biggest gains in performance can be accomplished by losing weight. So far I’ve taken off about 30 pounds. Since signing up for the Cannonball I’m getting really serious about taking more off. 


Even if I take off another 100 pounds I’ll still be a big man. There is no way I can beat those little flyweight guys. 150 cc of engine power can only do so much. My goal is to finish without missing any checkpoints and to enjoy the ride. 


There’s an outside chance I might have family following me in a support truck. That would be wonderful. Quite a few pounds could be shaved loading my gear and tools into the support truck. Just in case that doesn’t happen I signed up for the official Cannonball support truck. Of course, they have to accommodate a lot of people. They will pick you up if you breakdown, which is nice. Plus they’ll carry some parts and tires for you. 


I’m invested in the event and it’s inspired me to eat better and get more exercise. Whatever works, right?


-Sixbears


4 comments:

  1. Some of my most treasured trophies are the finisher pins earned by just completing the races, Never finished on the podium down in Baja or the Mint or Barstow, but I do have Finisher pins.
    Ha ha, Honda might give you advertising royalties after carrying double it's own gross weight that far lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what it's like to come in first. This just isn't the event for me to do that. Believe it or not I was a competitive white water canoe racer in my misspent youth. I have a long torso and good upper body strength.

      My main goal is to finish. If I manage to hit all the rally points and finish I'll be ahead of much of the pack.

      Delete
  2. I don't understand the title 6 Bears.

    You've lost weight, feel more healthy than ever, you found that OEM Honda parts work better and your chances of success in the scoot rally are improved.

    So what's the "Worst"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the previous post I thought worse come to worse I could go back to OEM parts.

      There was supposed to be a significant performance increase using Dr. Pulley parts but for me it wasn't that great.

      Delete